Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Back to Basics

Journal Collage, July 2014
I'm working on developing a new (or renewed) habit of collaging every day ~ either in my handmade 8-1/2" square journal, or my 8-1/2 x 11" sketchbook (or possibly both).  Three days running, so far so good.

On the reading front, there's been so much hoopla lately about The Goldfinch, that I wanted to post a link to this balanced review in July's Vanity Fair, and throw my own two cents into the mix.

In my estimation, the book gets a 3 to 3.5 on my scale of 5 (1 being I Hated It, 5 being I Loved It).  I thought it was a good book ~ but I didn't "like it very much" and I didn't "love it."  I thought it was way too long, and excessively drawn out in a couple parts.  I almost stopped reading the book entirely after the first of those parts.  I thought it could have had a lot more impact had it ended differently than it did.  I don't think it deserved a Pulitzer Prize.  But the fact that it won one just indicates to me that our culture's sense of what makes good literature has dropped quite a few notches in recent years.  I think the whole affair is way overrated.  I don't like things like this that sweep the culture and wrap everyone up in a bubble of sensationalism.  Give me books that are underrated, any day.  I've read numerous other books recently that I liked way better than The Goldfinch.  So...reader beware.

Currently I'm reading The Constant Heart by Craig Nova, enjoying the story and the writing.  Read my third Don Lee book last weekend, Wrack and Ruin, and enjoyed that as well.

Have a good mid-week.  xo

5 comments:

amy of four corners design said...

started reading the Goldfinch but didn't get very far and had to return it to the library since my time was up...don't know if I will check it out again or not
love the opening collage...on my recent trip I took a blank journal with me and challenged myself to create using only the junk mail/found detritus at each home where we stayed...though I didn't do it everyday, I think I will keep up with it - it was a new outlet for me and I think there's a lot to be gained from creating everyday, regardless of the outcome...

jenclair said...

I felt about like that about The Secret History, which everyone else loved. Decided to skip Goldfinch.

Michele Unger said...

Thanks for your review of The Goldfinch. I wanted to like it, but didn't. I didn't even finish it. I have begun to follow my old pal Jack's advice---"life is too short to drink bad wine OR read bad (or dull or boring, poorly written) books."

john said...

I love the balance in this collage. The polka dots, music notes, and chair splotches....masterful of you.

Leslie said...

Neat collage. I like the repeated polka dots and the ink scribble. There's so much black and white in magazines that I don't even notice until I start looking for it.