Friday, May 9, 2014

Wonders Never Cease

Yesterday I completed my Neutrals Journal, the latest in my series of art journals.  I had ten pages to fill and I was finished by noon.  The iron was hot...

Collage is something I will not be giving up.  I have a vision for collage, although it is difficult to put into words so I won't try.  I like all my collage work.  I love putting sometimes strange things together to create something else.  Although I don't plan to begin another art journal in the foreseeable future, it's quite possible that I'll return to collage journaling as I did it prior to when I got into mixed media.  Collage journaling goes back seven years for me.  I especially liked the work I did with architectural images.  See photos at end of post.

Completed Neutrals Journal, pages 9x9 inches, May 2014

The thing about my early collages is that they are in my own collage style.  Now that I've experimented with a lot of other styles, i.e. tried to get my work to look like others' work, I'm coming back home.

12 comments:

PamelaArtsinSF said...

What a beauty! That book is amazing. I'd like to sit right down and look at each page.

john said...

Stupendous! I love that you have the desire to find you and your art. I am so glad to hear that collage feels like home. Me, too!

Jacki Long said...

You have such a great eye, so whatever medium, it is there in full bloom for us to enjoy. I love your journal and personally feel that it is a mirror of you at that time. Wonderful, as always Connie!

amy of four corners design said...

love the rabbit with the graphic numbers - wonderful!

Irene said...

I suppose you could say that collage is your hobby beside your more serious work. Not meaning to take your collages lightly because I think they are always so well done. You do have to have excellent magazines and books to choose your illustrations from. Luckily, you do have them available.

Judy said...

'coming back home' is a good thing. you have a very distinctive and beautiful style - don't change it! It is YOU. It's what makes something by Connie Rose so fabulous! Don't ever change!!

xxoo

Maggi said...

I've always admired your very individual collage style and am glad to see that you are coming back home. I love the neutrals journal.

Jeanne Aird said...

You are the collage queen! I have enjoyed your collages for years. I especially liked on the one yesterday. You have a wonderful way with negative/positive shapes and space whether in color or neutrals. I love the textures in the rabbit one and the one you showed Wednesday. Do what you love when you feel like doing it!

Michele Unger said...

Really beautiful work! And what makes it so very special is YOUR voice! Thank you for sharing.

Charlton Stitcher said...

Despite very dodgy and unreliable wi-fit, I've managed to find these to enjoy. Funny how some media feel like home and yet we all feel pressured to explore others ...

Leslie said...

Love the rabbit collage. Also love the idea of a journal full of neutral images - think I'll start one. I've always loved b/w photography so I think I'll really enjoy this.

jackie said...

Welcome back home, but I think you always do have your own style and recognisable way of working.