Monday, May 26, 2014

Je t'aime

Art Journal page, May 2014
I'm loving this life of mostly reading and some art making...

I finished Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of All Things on Saturday, and am now nearing the home stretch on Louise Penny's The Beautiful Mystery.  Next up, a reread of Peter Matthiessen's The Snow Leopard.  This will have to last me until my next order of books arrives from the library, later this week.

Another book on creativity that I'm reading now is Julia Cameron's The Sound of Paper.  I've had this in my collection for eons...the only reason it didn't get sold, as nearly all the rest of my once-large personal library did, is that I couldn't get a decent price for it at Amazon.  And yet I never felt good about donating it to the library.  So now I'm reading it, and once I get past page 60 it'll be for the first time.  It works for me now in its inward-focused, Zen-like approach to creativity.

I've also been reading Oxford American and The Sun, which I retrieve from the library's free bin.  Both excellent magazines with wonderful writing.  Oxford American is all writing from the southern United States, and I have to say I have a new appreciation for culture and life in general in that part of the country.  And Tricycle, which I've been subscribing to for years.

The rest of my series of ten 5 x 5" paintings is in process.  I'm thinking about the next small series, probably abstract landscapes.  Mail art continues, at a much more manageable pace than previously.  And other creative endeavors are happening in their own way and pace.

Have a great day.  xo

10 comments:

Jacki Long said...

So happy for you Connie!
It seems like I can feel your comfort level?
I too have the Julia Cameron books,
some have served me well in the past,
some have yet to have the chance ;op
Take good care.

Jan said...

Sounds like a yummy life right now...

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a spectacular reading list you are working your way through ... oh to have the time ...!

Charlton Stitcher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charlton Stitcher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Irene said...

It sounds like you are in a real comfortable place on all levels. Doesn't that feel great? You have achieved so much all on your own and we have been witness to your journey. It seemed to accelerate toward the latter part and now you are cruising. I am happy for you.

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Sounds good -- reading and relaxing....and some art.
I am reading Delicious by Ruth Reichl and loving it. And I saw CHEF last night at the movies and loved that. Hummm....there is a food theme going on with me..

Maggi said...

I like the three-dimensional feel to the journal page.

Thank you for the link to The Sun, I have just had an enjoyable time reading some of the pieces.

Judy Martin said...

Thanks for the words about the Sound of Paper - I had not known about this book before.

I love the circle paintings you have been doing on panel.

Meg Fowler said...

I would have commented before, but I spent all day yesterday and part of this morning reading Oxford American. Deliciousness!!! Being one of those Southerners, I think I have relived my childhood many times in these two days! Thank you for this marvelous link. Now I'm off to indulge in more memories!