Friday, May 30, 2014

Contrarian

I have to say I'm especially happy with this little 5 x 5 inch painting.  I spread molding paste through a stencil, then painted blue, then rubbed on copper paintstix, then highlighted with with fine gold paint...over the course of several days.  Love the raised texture.

I finished rereading Peter Matthiessen's The Snow Leopard yesterday.  Great book.  Put me in mind again of earlier times in my life when I imagined trekking somewhere, being a wanderer for a while.  In retrospect I realize that my entire adult life was a sort of wander, that I was a vagabond in many ways, and not just creatively.  Searching for myself.  Until I found myself a few years ago, in my current season of life.

Just some of the things I've learned in my wanderings, all contrary to what we were told when I was growing up ~
  • The less I have, the happier I am.
  • The farther away I venture from the mainstream of modern life, the happier and more satisfied I am.
  • The simpler my life is, the happier I am.
  • The more I trust myself, the happier I am.
  • The more I surrender to what is, the more stuff I let go of, the happier I am.
  • The more solitary I am, the happier I am.

Peter Matthiessen, I'm sad to say, died just last month, at 86.

12 comments:

Irene said...

I like to be solitaire, but not lonely. I like to not be owned by things, but still have treasures. I like to go places, but be home too. Does that sound like what you mean?

Jan said...

Wonderful thoughts, Connie. I agree with Irene, too. Letting go and clearing out is always a good process for me, but sometimes I avoid it.

Leslie said...

LOVE the painting! The colors, the textures, the circles, the slant of the circles - everything.

And I agree with most of your points, I just haven't achieved them all yet. Something of a shame that it takes us so late into our span of years to realize those things. Maybe I should work on them harder...

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

The last four echo strongly in my world and always have ... not so easy when partner loves socializing and I'd rather stay in with my happy quiet life!

Charlton Stitcher said...

Love the diagonals here - unexpected. Perhaps a metaphor for a life interestingly lived away from the mainstream ....?

Diana Angus said...

Exquisite painting. Exquisite post.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Great post, Connie! I love the things you have learned. I think we are blessed when we can discover what is truly important to us, rather than struggle to fit into the wrong mold as many of us do for so long. BTW, I love your painting, and I got a giant 'aha' from the description of your process! I'm currently playing with patching plaster, and realized I could add texture to it with various objects... very interesting!

Michele Unger said...

You are one very wise woman! it's a pleasure to read your words.

I, too, loved reading The Snow Leopard. It's one of my all-time favorite books.

jackie said...

Thanks for your comment. Just playing. Like you I am happiest when solitary, but I know at times I have to get out and be with people just to keep balance in my life.We are lucky to have this creative gift,just for its own sake.

Emma said...

I'd like a bit more peace & quiet certainly but I won't get it for a while what with (wonderful) kids & (necessary) B&B guests!I am slowly working towards it. Lovely texture & rich color in your recent pieces

Maggi said...

Love the richness of this piece.

Another book to add to my list!

john said...

Lovely textures and color choices. :-)