Saturday, May 17, 2014

Colors At My Disposal

Here are the color charts I mentioned in yesterday's post.  What a great exercise this was.  The majority of the colors are Golden Fluid Acrylics.  The next brand, percentage-wise, is Blick Studio heavy body paints.  There are a few Sennelier colors in the mix, a few Liquitex, some Lumiere, and one Artist's Loft (Michaels' house brand).  If you click on the photos you might be able to see the brand and color names.

When I first started buying acrylic paints, I began with Blick's products.  The very first I bought were Blickcrylics, the lowest-priced line they make.  Lots of filler, not much pigment at all, especially in the metallic colors. The next time I purchased paint, I bought a sample set of 36 of Blick's Studio Acrylics.  The reason I have so many blues, above, is that I never used most of what was in that sample set although I quickly went through most of the other colors and subsequently purchased 4- or 8-oz tubes of colors I liked.

Somewhere between there and my love affair with Golden Fluid Acrylics, I bought the Sennelier and Liquitex paints.  This color-chart exercise made me realize I don't especially like Sennelier, although I love their colors, because the paint stays tacky for a long time before drying completely...although they're not "open" acrylic paints.  I have some Liquitex heavy body paint in tubes and a couple of soft body in little jars.  I can't stand those little jars -- would buy soft body in tubes in future.  The color of theirs that I really love is Baltic Green, kind of a gray green that makes terrific colors when mixed with Golden's Fluid Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold.  The Lumiere paints I've had for eons, since I printed on fabric several years ago.

If you paint, you know that the better quality paint you buy, the higher the pigment load.  More bang for the buck, essentially.  The most startling difference between brands of the same color is in the second photo, the red chart, third from the left top row is Golden's Fluid Alizarin Crimson, and bottom right is Blick's heavy body Alizarin Crimson.  Then there are several where one color name in one brand is essentially the same as a different color name in a different brand.

Like I said at the outset ~ an enlightening exercise.  Have a great weekend!  xo

11 comments:

Spinnerholm said...

I have JoSonja's acrylics and love them. Good viscosity, pigment load and mixes well with mediums. I used to purchase them in here studio in Eureka, but I know you can purchase them on line.

Sandra Rude said...

Love those murky golds and greens, and the subtle neutrals in the last panel. It's funny, some days all I want is "in your face" brights, and other days I crave those neutrals.

john said...

Perfectly useful! :-)

Els said...

LOVE that top picture Connie ;-)

Maggi said...

Enlightening and, I suspect, a very enjoyable exercise.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

I was suddenly thinking of a time I was invited to come paste paint with a friend's kids, who were still in grade school at the time. We were using their kid-friendly craft acrylics in the paste. Even squirting in big dollops, they were so disappointed. The colors were washed out and dull. The boys were growing bored and not having much fun. I wound up breaking out the Golden tubes I'd had in my box of supplies, much to their delight. Color! Finally, they could make patterns that look nice! Suddenly, they were really into it. It still makes me laugh to think of it, but it's also a good lesson for us all--use the best quality materials you can possibly afford! Otherwise, disappointment will follow.

I love your color charts. Great idea! I've never done that for my paints, but have done something similar with all of my colored pencils and Pitt pens. Very useful!

Charlton Stitcher said...

Very useful, I'm sure, and something I'm know I should do with all my various pencils, pastels and chalks - and maybe even with fabrics and printing inks ... but somehow I'm never that organised.

Michele Unger said...

Thanks for this! You've inspired me to do the same exercise. I need to see what I have and what I can eliminate. Your organization is rubbing off on me.

Jeanne Aird said...

What a great idea to see all the paints you have, and such good information about your experience with the different brands. Thanks

Karen Isaacson said...

What a great exercise. I have color charts of my paints/inks/markers/pencils sorted by brand. Why did it never occur to me to make charts by color. This would be incredibly useful. I think I'm going to have to do this. (and oh yes, I love that liquitex baltic green as well!)

Judy Martin said...

Me too.

I think that just getting the brushes out and making charts like this would be enough to get me painting again.

Thanks for showing how.
x