Monday, April 21, 2014

Wild Color

A recent painting, 18 x 24 inches on canvas.

I spent all my creative time over the weekend stitching "shabby" pages for my upcoming hybrid journal.  That's the one where I'll be combining my regular writing journal with the looser "bits and pieces, anything  goes" journals that I've been making since taking Mary Ann Moss's Remains of the Day.  I'm way ahead of the curve on this one, I likely won't need to begin using it for another couple months.  Nevertheless, the hardest part is done.  I'll post photos when it's ready to launch.

I read The Photograph, by Penelope Lively, a few days ago.  Excellent read.  I'm now finishing up her Family Album, also enjoyable.  

My public library carries a terrific selection of periodicals.  Although I rarely check them out because I've already got enough to read with all the books I regularly borrow, sometimes I'm lucky and find several-month-old issues in the library's free box.  I'll read them of course, if they're edifying, or use them for collage if not.  And when I'm done with them, if I haven't disemboweled them for creative purposes, I'll donate them to Miranda's Rescue in Fortuna, to be resold in their thrift shop.  

The point of this tale, though, is that I recently found issues of Yes Magazine, Buddhadharma, Shambhala Sun, The Sun, and Oxford American.  All good stuff to read.  So I haven't been at any loss of things to fill up my time now that I'm spending a lot less of it online.  I'm also a lot mellower.  And that's always a good thing.

11 comments:

Jacki Long said...

Miss you,
but am surrounded by your generous art,
and I will always see your blog.
Glad you are happier too. ♥♥

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Reading and relaxing sounds good about now....I haven't been on blogs or facebook in days and now just checking in, which also feels good.

Love your wild color and shape. xox

Emma said...

Loving your circles & the two to tangos are fabulous!

john said...

I love your color choices....so vibrant but contained.

Irene said...

I used to read a lot of Penelope Lively. I liked the one about the aging brother and sister who live together, but I have forgotten the name of it. Lots of her books are real good and she has such an intimate way of writing while at the same time being very objective.

I see you are on a roll artistically. That must feel really great. I can't wait to see the result. xox

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Mellow is good. Reading is good. Art is good. And mail went out to you today. xo

Peggy Lynn said...

Off-line living is wonderful...and soothing. I agree! Love your work.

Leslie said...

I'm not much drawn to purple but quite like the painting. That red is great.
I am, unfortunately, the social media person for our company, so by the time I get home at night, I rarely touch the computer. Wish I had the same option at work LOL.

Maggi said...

Love your vibrant circles.

I should read some of Penelope Lively's adult books as I enjoyed her as a writer when I used The Ghost of Thomas Kempe as part of the English syllabus I taught.

Karen Isaacson said...

I quite like this painting - it's colors and contrasts and line.
lovely.

Henriette said...

Love this one, like the colors very much !