Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Two to Tango

Here's an abstract duo I painted within the last week, both 8 x 10 inches on canvas.  I've got lots to talk about this morning, so read on.

Twice in the last four days I've observed what I'm calling computer sabbaths.  As in, I never even turned on my computer...in fact, I had it put away, on the shelf under my worktable where it lives when I'm not actively using it.  Those days (last Saturday and yesterday) were two of the most wonderful I've spent in a very long time.

I intend to keep doing this several times a week.  I'm especially loving experiencing the natural rhythm of my days without technological intervention of any kind.  Since I also don't have a cellphone, this non-techno freedom is easy to bring about.  And a total pleasure.

Long-time readers will already know that I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook.  I've taken Facebook holidays and threatened to leave before, but I'm really going to do it this time.  This time I mean it.  Many of my blog readers are also on Facebook, but many are not.  I'm going with the latter group now.  The only thing I still like about Facebook is the worldwide community of friends I've met, all of them artists in their own right.  Oh well ~ if it's meant to be, we'll stay in touch via email...and if that doesn't happen, well, there you go.

I realize I don't need to elaborate further, but I will anyway...because I rather like voicing to the world exactly who I am ~
  • I want to better use my time, my life energy, even if I'm "doing nothing"
  • I already don't fit in with the culture at large, and I no longer care to try to
  • I really like being alone, solo, silent, with my own thoughts or reading or creating, in my own kind of vacuum
  • I like my own art a lot more when I'm not looking at it in comparison to other artists' work...and when I'm online (Facebook primarily) I'm always judging my work consciously or unconsciously
  • It doesn't help me to read about bad things going on in the world, it only keeps my innate pessimism and cynicism at uncomfortably high levels
  • The older I get, the more I'm loving S-L-O-W living

However ~ I have no intention or desire to give up my blog.  I love blogging.  I read well over 100 other blogs (really only about 20 posts a day in total), love meeting other artists via our blogs, and I honestly feel more connected with people through blogging than I ever have via Facebook.  I'll still be right here, so don't you go anywhere.

Yesterday I discovered that I have three brand new sets of Quilting Arts magazines, both of which contain articles about my work.  They are Issue 44 (April/May 2010) and Issue 47 (Oct/Nov 2010).

I don't know how much QA costs these days, but these two issues were $7.99 each.  I'm selling the set for $10 plus $6 priority shipping (U.S. sales ONLY).  There are 3 sets.


I've been reading a lot, as always.  Here are three excellent book recommendations ~
  1. Still Life With Breadcrumbs, Anna Quindlen
  2. Flight Behavior, Barbara Kingsolver
  3. Cooked, Michael Pollan
Have a great day.  Hope spring (or autumn) is well under way wherever you are.  See you on Friday.  xo

22 comments:

Charlton Stitcher said...

Spring is well under way here in the UK - and after the greyness of winter seems more beautiful than ever.

On the other tack - Facebook - I absolutely agree with you, whole-heartedly and beyond doubt - it is a terrible tyrant and I do it very little. I won't notice your departure - but I would notice if you stopped blogging ...!

Charlton Stitcher said...

PS should have said I love the quirky, machanical quality of these. If they came from a non-techno day, I'd say it was a good move.

Anna H said...

Connie, I love the 2 pieces! The colors are delicious, and kudos for leaving Facebook. I am not ready to make that leap yet, too many connections around the world, but at least I don't spend a lot of time there.

Jan said...

I enjoyed this post, really like the paintings you share and your thoughts also. I agree with all you say. I don't spend much time on FB but do find myself drawn into it more than I would like. I prefer to be alone as much as possible which is easy living out in the forest as I do. I want to follow your example and leave my computer turned off, I will start with one day a week. It would give me opportunity to read more. I used to but now I get on the computer in the morning and check my email instead of picking up my book. I loved Flight Behaviour!! Not so much The Lacuna. I have enjoyed Anna Quindlen so will look for the one you mentioned. Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Kris Cahill said...

Hi Connie, I like these abstracts of yours, they speak to me of energy and change! I'm with you on the Facebook thing, it's become more difficult to be there, so I spend less time there these days. The main reason I go is to see what friends and family are up to. Your computer sabbaths sound great to me, I've been looking at doing more of that myself. I'm very glad to catch up with your blog today, it's beautiful as usual!

Emily Archer said...

This is so inspiring and motivating, and I'm grateful. I just happen to have both of those Q&A issues, saved among the many I threw out; maybe I know now why I saved them. Glad you're not giving up your blog.

Leslie said...

Good for you shutting off the damn puter. I'm on it All Day at work so often leave it off at home unless I want to blog or work on an online class. Ii have a personal FB acct but never look at it since I get enough FB-itis keeping up our biz acct.
And I agree with every one of your points, especially being alone. Love it.
I like the paintings. The pops of white are striking.
Enjoy your 'natural' days.

Jeannie said...

I really like where your artist journey is taking you. It seems exciting from my chair and I hope it is for you, too. I have been toying with unplugging. FB has its problems and I still think about writing a blog, but do I really have anything to say? I fell into the black hole of information overload during the last election and I think I am saturated, now to break the habit. The kid of the 60's thinks that she can change things, the 60 year old wonders if that is true. I love the interaction with like minded people, but the negativity is dragging me down. My Gram always told me if I didn't like something to change it. I just need to figure out what to change. :) Take care and Happy Spring!!! (Although it feels a little like February here.)
Hugs to you and BeeGee

Irene said...

I really like your abstracts in how well balanced and colorful they are. This sort of art is very appealing to me, but I do have to add that most of yours is. We must be soul sisters when it comes to art.

I like keeping in touch with my daughter through Facebook. It is a very quick and easy way.

xox

Jan Ward said...

Editing is so important, isn't it? To find and give time to what gives you sustenance and uplifts the spirit is a life's work. I doubt you will regret it even for a minute.

Sweetpea said...

Have you in my blog feed so I always know where to find you ;>]] Agree wholeheartedly with the whole love/hate [mostly hate, for me] of f'book and I stay away from there for days at a time. BUT, there's a few peeps who I luv to keep up with there ... always trade offs, eh?!

I like that you speak your mind !

Judy Martin said...

Dear Connie
I read what you said on facebook and came over to reconnect with your blog. I feel the same as you do about facebook and screen time - but I do love the energy that I receive from blogging.

Let's keep in touch through the blogs, and keep on doing. I find that painting takes and gives so much energy...and both at the same time - it is really consuming. Congratulations on these paintings, and may you have the bravery and time to create many more. They are full of life.

Maggi said...

You already know how I feel about FB and always follow your blog anyway. It is interesting that the colours in these two pieces suggest a joy and freedom. Perhaps that's what happens when you disconnect.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Love these two pieces....and your book choices. i am feeling the lack of desire to be on facebook as well, so I buzz in, check my groups, say a word or two and buzz out. It is such a brain drain....Blogs are so much more personal pn a spiritual level i feel and that's what draws me...to "see" the pther personina real and internal way. xox

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Congrats on stepping away from distractions and annoyances! I love your blog, and have a list of blogs I visit regularly, and the only reason I have for staying on FB is that it is an easy way to stay in touch with friends and family who I otherwise would not be in touch with. I love your paintings, love that you are so in touch with what is important and that you are willing and happy to let go of the rest! I'm getting more that way about the freakin' news... soo very tired of all the chaos and insanity that I'm glad when I can distance myself from it. Thanks for all your inspiration, artistic and otherwise!

Threadpainter said...

Having just spent 11 days without a computer (house-sitting) I went through great withdrawal for a week ... then, believe it or not, I found a peace and a joy in just listening to a radio, or reading (something that has been lacking in my life for a long time). my brain started to un-fuzz and ideas started to flow. I, too will commence computer-free days every week.
Glad to have found your blog through Charlton Stitcher ... I like the way you think !

Alice said...

Hooray for you re your Facebook stance. Blogging leaves the artist a certain amount of control over the look of our communications, not so FB. There is so much mindless garbage there, and it takes time to sift through the junk. Better ways to spend our time. And if we need the competitive "likes" from relative strangers, we're sadly lacking in self-esteem. Yes, the people who really need to contact us will find a way. Now, back to work!

Karen Isaacson said...

I love interacting with artists through blogs and have never felt a strong connection to art/artists through FB. I'm glad you're not giving up blogging!

My laptop charging station is next to my art table, and I've developed the bad habit of having it up and running while I'm creating, which leads me to that compulsive checking of email, etc. You've inspired me - I'm going to banish it from the room while I'm creating.

Quilt or Dye said...

Yep, I can say "me too" to all your bullet points of who you are. So, maybe we aren't the "culture at large" but at least we aren't alone.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I like who you are. Also love your new work..especially the circles with the defining line through them.

Judy Rys said...

Love the colors you have used for these pieces.

najma love said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.