Wednesday, April 2, 2014

New Attitude

Acrylic Painting on watercolor paper, 9 x 9 inches
I'm still working in my neutrals art journal, still have a signature to go, and I'm still loving black and white and grays and shades of tan and otherwise subdued colorways.  The wild side of me, though, feels like it's been on the paleo diet.  So I'm venturing into more color to satisfy that part of my soul.

The most recent book that I'm high on is Flora Bowley's Brave Intuitive Painting.  Flora's thing is that you have to get out of your own way, tuck your thinking mind away somewhere else and let your intuition guide your painting.  And your life, of course.  What a fab metaphor.  Totally apropos for me at this point.

I've started painting some bigger pieces, or have begun several at any rate.  The biggest canvas I have on hand is 16x20, and I'll order some bigger ones soon.  But I can't go TOO big because of space considerations...although I dearly wish I had the room to work on B-I-G canvas, so I could really express that bottled up body energy with large brushstrokes.

So while one part of me really likes working small, another part of me is venturing into bigger work.  And that's just fine.

5 comments:

john said...

Love the color choices and vibrancy.

Jeannie said...

This makes me happy! I hope it makes you happy, too. :) I picked up Flora's book the other day. I've never played with anything other than fingerpaints as a kid and lately watercolor. I love her approach to painting. Life lessons are a bonus. Have a wonderful rest of the week!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Again, I love the way the circles fall off the edge. The red just glows. I could see this in a huge canvas! I too keep feeling the need to work larger (although not on canvas). I don't know what that is that makes us want to be expansive. Maybe it's as you say, a lot of bottled up energy.

Maggi said...

Very vibrant. I love Flora's huge paintings but not many of can aspire to the space that they need.

Leslie said...

This is cool! That orange just glows. Love all the texture and movement.