Wednesday, March 12, 2014

More Recent History

This is a piece of raw silk that I pleated and stitched two years ago.  I dyed it this Monday.  The fabric measures 15 x 34 inches.  I used the finger pleat method, gathering up folds of fabric with my fingers then using a running stitch and a very long needle to hold each group of pleats in place.

To the left is the pleated fabric after it was soaked for a couple days to wet it out; on the right after steaming and drying out a bit, just before I took out the stitches.

13 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I am reminded of colorful, fractal snowflakes. love this snakelike technique....and hand gathering, the body in the work. xox

Diane said...

So very beautiful

Charlton Stitcher said...

How fascinating - and what a lovely effect.

Gill said...

Gorgeous!

Henriette said...

Really beautiful !!

Jacki Long said...

There is no end to your talents!
Amazing on a daily basis!
Thanks Connie for sharing!

Sandra Rude said...

This is some of the best shibori I've seen in a while! Gorgeous results!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Gosh, that's a fascinating piece of fabric. I would not have thought to add multiple colors to it.

Maggi said...

Beautiful marks.

Meg Fowler said...

It's nice to see you creating with fabric again! This piece does remind me of ice frozen on a window! Lovely!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love the stitched design! Never tried it on silk, but I am intrigued. Did you use acid dyes or procion mx? I have done running stitch before, but never the meandering technique you used... always something new to try! Thanks for sharing this...

Margaret said...

that turned out great love it

Leslie said...

Fascinating result! Good colors. Would make a lovely scarf. Something I might have to try...