Thursday, March 20, 2014

Book 'Em, Dano

The Fortuna Library had it's semi-annual sale a couple Saturdays ago.  I picked up a few new books for my collection.

This is a near-pristine edition of Hans Brinker.  No publication date inside and there appear to be a ton of first editions on Google and eBay.  All I know is that the book was originally published in 1865.

This was my splurge for the day, at a mere $2.  Now that I see the enormous sums that some of these old kids books are fetching at eBay, next sale I might pick up a lot more of them and list them for sale.  
I was one of the very first people to enter the sale and headed right for the "really old book" area where Hans was.  There was a rather large collection of other really great old kids books but I refrained from buying any others because of my space considerations.  Soon as I went around that tiny area and came back to the kids books, all the others were GONE!!  Someone else will be making a mint reselling them.

Little Sunny Stories was a 50-cent buy.  The author's name is familiar to me...just Googled him and, oh yeah, he wrote the Raggedy Ann books and others.  What's most interesting to me is how an author's name, from nearly 60 years ago, rang a bell in my brain.

This one also doesn't have a date of publication, although the inscription, "To my Little Emerald, Mama" is from 1940.

This graphic-novel style version of Tom Sawyer is from 1934.  This was another 50-cent purchase.

This garden tome is from 1904.  The cover isn't in the greatest condition, but the book itself is completely sound and it only cost me $1.

This edition of Romola by George Eliot is apparently from the late 1880s.  The first few pages are torn out but I just Googled it to get publication date.  Looks like there was originally a full set of Eliot's works like this.

At any rate, the cover is what knocks me out.  It's engraved or embossed.  I actually bought this just for the cover, and the 50-cent price.
http://constancerosetextilesales.blogspot.com/2014/03/new-button-booklets.html
Yesterday I posted a new batch of Button Booklets in my Online Shop.  Click the link to go to the post with all the details.  There were 16 available (only 8 shown here) but a few have sold already.  When you purchase, be sure to indicate your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices in the Instructions to Merchant section of the PayPal invoice.

10 comments:

Leslie said...

God, my mother *loved* Hawaii Five-0. She would have left us for Jack Lord if he'd shown up at the door.
Great haul of books. That last cover might make a very cool rubbing. And I love your button booklets. Can't decide which cover is my fave cause there's 4 or 5 that I really like.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Fantastic finds! Wow what a score. Love seeing those old books. xox

PamelaArtsinSF said...

I love old books too......you scored!

Susan Christensen said...

My mouth is watering over these choice finds, Connie. And I LOVED the Raggedy Anne and Andy books as a child. Immediately recognized that author in this post. xxoo, sus

Maggi said...

Great finds.

I can't see your button books hanging around for long, I love the one that I have from a while back.

Charlton Stitcher said...

Lovely books, both old and new - those button books are a delight!

jackie said...

Thank you for your comment. You have found some great bargains, the covers are really interesting.

amy of four corners design said...

love your book finds! they are fantastic! and your b&W collages are wonderful as well...

Jeanne Aird said...

Great book finds. I especially love the Hans Brinker. Great George Eliot book. I like the wonderful embossed cover and that George Eliot was really Mary Ann Evans, who wrote under a man's name, so she could sell her books more readily. That makes it ab even better treasure.

Alice said...

I had the same Hans Brinker edition when I was a kid. I think my brother cadged it. Darn.
Terrific finds.