Monday, March 24, 2014

Abstract Landscape

I painted this 12 x 12 inch piece (on canvas panel) on Saturday, along with one other.  Two paintings in one session is new for me. 

I'm working again, for now, with Wabi-Sabi Art Workshop by Serena Barton.  I love this book, although it calls for a lot of art materials that I don't have and don't feel inclined to purchase.  For instance, in the section on abstract landscapes from which I was inspired to paint this piece, the author uses Adirondack re-inkers with acrylic glaze medium to create thin glazes of color.  I'm using fluid acrylics instead of re-inkers to create my color glazes.

It feels a lot more in keeping with the wabi-sabi concept (things old, worn, well used, recycled, imperfect, etc.) to use what I already have, as much and as often as possible, than to buy yet more art supplies.

8 comments:

john said...

I love what you have done with this landscape. It reminds me of Georgia O'Keeffe. Lovely texture, light, and color choices.

Karen Isaacson said...

gorgeous. and so important to stay out of the "buy everything" trap. and to TALK about rejecting that mindset and talk about the ways we adapt projects to meet out own needs.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I so agree with you and Karen ... I have made myself promise to make art without running to the art store or fabric store ... I prefer making art with materials on hand!

ileneharris said...

Coincidental that John said your painting evoked the style of Georgia O'Keeffe. We watchd the movie Georgia O'Keeffe last night at home. Stars Laura Allen and Jeremy Irons. Excellent and I highly recommend it.

Chris Gray said...

Love this little landscape Connie!!

x C

Maggi said...

Lovely piece and I do agree that if you can create the effect that you want with what you already have, then go for it.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Beautiful! Such rich texture and color.

I'm getting so annoyed with books and tutorials that name things by brand and push products at you. I do like to know what people use… up to a point. Increasingly, it reaches the absurd! As far as I know, any decent water/acrylic-compatible paint or ink with acrylic glaze will make thin glazes of color.

And I really like the way you built up your glazes here! Luscious!

Charlton Stitcher said...

Love the simplicity and the rich colour ... makes me long to stitch just a very few wavy landscape lines across it !