Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Outside My Comfort Zone

This is one of two pieces I completed for Extreme Comp lesson five ~ I may post the other in a few days.  The size of this is 12 x 16 inches.

The instructions were to work on a large sheet of paper (Jane used 18 x 24" sheets for this but I don't have the room to work that big), lay down something in the background (here, the blue and green scraped paint), work in two separate areas that have been masked around (there were two six-inch squares of marks somewhere in that mess), then tie it all together.

This was really challenging for me and I almost didn't complete the lesson.  Working this big and with this many elements is not something I would likely ever do on my own.  But, it's good to stretch oneself.  So I did it despite my recalcitrance.

The best use of big work like this, in my opinion, is to cut it up and use for postcards, ATCs, or even just smaller paintings.  This piece is on 80# drawing paper, so after chopping it up I'll mount the pieces on heavier paper with PVA.

7 comments:

PamelaArtsinSF said...

i like it!! And cutting it up for postcards sounds like a great idea.

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Or ATC's.....

Emma said...

This honestly looks like you've been comfortable with working this way for years, I love it!) Working so large you get to use your whole arm to scrape scribble & stamp, but I agree it took me a while to get used to it. Then what do I do? I go & work in a 12x12cm space & can't squeeze enough in! I forgot about stamping/painting on tissue first, too - I'm inspired!

Leslie said...

It's interesting but there's too many diff types of marks for me. But it's perfect for the green and purple swap at MMSA LOL.

ileneharris said...

I like cutting up small pieces from a large piece. In fact, I just did this with paper from the "pulling" we did on glass with paint at Sandy's last year. Ithw outcome is always surprising. The tiny pieces I cut (approximately 1 inch square) were used as background on Scrabble tiles for a charm making project. Now that's working really small...

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, Connie! I'd say you met the challenge and exceeded it! I really love all the great patterns layered over the great colors! I could see this mounted and framed as a wonderful focal point on a wall. You make me want to try this!

Maggi said...

I like making things this size at times simply because there are so many possibilities to isolate smaller areas to cut up. There are certainly plenty of opportunities for that in this piece.