Saturday, February 22, 2014

In Other News...

For the umpteenth time, the other day I gazed at that bucket full of hand stitched and pole wrapped fabrics that have been waiting for TWO years to be dyed or discharged, the bucket that's been sitting out in my shed so I don't have to see it every day.  And I decided to begin attacking it, slowly.  Starting with the easy stuff, discharging.

These are two pieces of wonderful linen with a beautiful hand, both hand stitched.  The piece on the left was discharged with bleach, the one on the right with thiox (thiourea dioxide with soda ash).  Each piece is about 20 x 28 inches (the fabric off the bolt was 56 inches wide).  My original intention was to use these for an art quilt, but I have my doubts about whether that will happen now.  At any rate, they're finished now, so I can cross them off that laundry list of fabric to be processed.

Fortunately, when I prepped all that fabric, I marked each piece with my intended method of processing.  I guess I foresaw that it might take me a good while to get to them, if at all.  The pieces to be dyed, however, will require a bit more work at this point.  Decisions will have to be made.  A few will be acid dyed, the others with fiber reactive dyes.  I think that exercise was likely meant to be my last hurrah in shibori.

Don't forget about the Giveaway happening now.  
Leave a comment to enter every day until the drawing,
which will most likely occur on Monday, February 24.  Full details here.

13 comments:

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a lovely effect - especially the length of fabric on the right, with its monochrome of black and white.

Sandra Rude said...

What a difference between the two discharge chemicals! I love the rosy tones of the bleached one.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I've always loved & admired your shibori, especially knowing how labor-intensive the process is. I will follow with interest this final process with them.

Jacki Long said...

Sounds like hard work to me ;op But, I know you can do whatever strikes you! Such talent! ;oD

Jeanne Aird said...

Hope it was fun for you to work with fabric again. Great patterns in both. I haven't worked yet with Thiox, but have the materials, just haven't had the time to play with it. It seems more labor intensive than the bleach, which is mostly how I've done discharge in the past. I like how you were able to get the fabric all the way back to the white with the Thiox. That is difficult with bleach to do.

john said...

You are speaking about something I know little about and am so curious. I love the texture.

Sandy said...

Gee, I have projects sitting like that. These turned out well.

ileneharris said...

A new branch from THE TREE OF EXPLORATION

Kudos...

Jeannie said...

Beautiful!!! So much hand stitching involved in shibori but the results are so worth it. I found my supplies this week and thought that instead of reading, I could be getting some fabric ready for summer. You are so wise to note what you wanted to do. I have to start doing that. I look at things and wonder what the Hell was I thinking! LOL! Have a wonderful weekend. xo

Unknown said...

We are still being snowed on here in Wyoming....should be snow dyeing every day! Marybeth

Suus said...

Nice experiment with a different result.

Susan Christensen said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Connie. Mine is just around the corner - I love it that we share Pisces sun!
Congrats on your tenacity in finishing these. Inspiring!
-sus

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Dying is something I have never tried, but I may do some eco dying this Spring with a weaver friend, will be an adventure fore sure...