Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Complex Lines

In the first lesson of Jane Davies' Extreme Composition, we've been practicing with complex lines.  These are all samples from part one of the lesson, making just one line on a sheet of paper, stretching from one edge to another edge somewhere on the page.  The idea is to let the line create itself, essentially.

These are done on either 90# watercolor paper or 60# drawing paper.  I've used a Pitt Artist Pen, a soft pencil, and in this first piece to the left, acrylic ink applied with a pipette.

Part two of the lesson was to draw two lines, separately and in different color ink, on one page.  I did several of those but I'm not excited about them as my lines didn't have the individuality that these single lines do.  I may do a few more.  But I've also got to finish the third part of the lesson...and then there's lesson two that will be available to students tomorrow.




10 comments:

Charlton Stitcher said...

OOOOH Connie!! What fun these are and so lively! Perhaps this is the course for me ...

Roberta said...

Glad you posted these. I was a bit shy about posting mine since they aren't finished art or anything. But now that you are being brave I think I will as well.....I like the class a lot. It is really pushing me to do things I would not ordinarily do, which is the point isn't it?

The Idaho Beauty said...

Amazing what one can do with a single line.

Sandra Rude said...

These are all wonderful compositions! Looks like you're having too much fun again...

Leslie said...

These are interesting. I especially like the 2nd one, not exactly sure why...

Maggi said...

Some interesting images are appearing here.

Judy Sall Fiber Arts said...

Love these! Very playful, whimsical... like the trail of a fictitious critter. Fun!

PamelaArtsinSF said...

You are having fun with these classes, aren't you?

john said...

Just plain fluid! :-)

Henriette said...

Inspiring !