Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Line Play

This week's lesson has been to play with lines.  These are four studies, just 5-1/2 inches square each.  The line in each piece is made with something different.  I love the color palette in these...I'm calling it Tequila Sunrise.  Above, the line is acrylic ink applied with a small piece of bamboo, 1/8 inch in diameter, homegrown to boot.

Here the line was made with a Sharpie Poster Paint pen, which I like because of its blackness, but I also don't like it because the line shatters when the nib goes over anything that's not perfectly smooth. 

Here the line was made with a purple Caran D'ache aquarelle pencil.

The last line was made with a Prismacolor Ebony jet black pencil.

I've already enrolled in Jane Davies' Extreme Composition online class, which will begin on Wednesday, January 8. 

11 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

The colors on these just knocked my socks off! Calm down, Sheila, yes this is within your favorite colors to gravitate towards, but let's check out what she's doing with it. Just extraordinary how effect and even powerful these compositions are with the single line running through them.

Karen Isaacson said...

these are lovely. the line exercises were so good for me when I took this class, and I vowed to use more line going forward, but generally forget. I've re-visted it a few times recently and have been happy with the results.

Charlton Stitcher said...

These are beautiful - despite their stunning colour there's a really lovely stillness about them. Like the Idaho Beauty above, this colour range is one of my favourite. I use line a lot in my work - but not as clearly and unequivocally as this.

Leslie said...

Geez, these are great. That seems like a really good class!

jenclair said...

I love orange and the way the color and the line plays -- perfect. The touch of lavender is delicious.

john said...

Great job on these!

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Oh yes! These are wonderful. I love the color palette too. And the designs. Very nice, Connie!

Jeannie said...

Connie, these are fabulous!!! Orange is one of my difficult colors and you have used it magnificently. Woo Hoo!!!

Sandra Rude said...

Love these! Esp #1... but they're all exciting.

Maggi said...

The introduction of line adds a completely new dimension to these pieces. Love the colours you are using.

Kathirvel Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.