Monday, November 4, 2013

Cruciform

This painting is the best of what I've done so far in this week's lesson of Dynamic Composition.  We're working with the cruciform structure.  This piece is 11 x 11 inches on watercolor paper.  I've done four pieces so far for this lesson, and plan to do a few more in the next day or two. 

This piece, though, meets all of Jane's criteria for success ~ different sized quadrants, cruciform that doesn't scream off the page, subtle transitions between cross and quadrants, subtle color variations in quadrants. Let's see if I can do something like this again.

11 comments:

john said...

I loved doing the cruciform in Jane's class. You are really doing amazing work in this class. Love your color palette on this one. Success all around!

pru barry said...

Your work sings - you make it look easy, but I know it's not.
A question about the cruciform not screaming off the page. Can you explain what you mean?
Keep having fun and being a real inspiration!
pru

Maggi said...

The colours work so well together and you are quite right about the composition - it is very successful. Look forward to seeing more.

MegWeaves said...

Connie, is this an online class?

Sandra Rude said...

Love it! The colors and textures are wonderful.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Oh, I think this is a beauty, Connie!

Susan Christensen said...

Interesting color palette, too! -sus

Peggy Lynn said...

Stunning!!

Jeanne Aird said...

This is really wonderful. You 'nailed' it, which I think is the most appropriate term when you get the cruciform structure correct. Great colors and textures, not to mention use of space and emphasis. I think I'll have to check out her class sometime. I like the idea of taking it online and it's there forever to access ,like you mentioned previously.

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a lovely concept this is - and not one I've considered using in my work ... I will store the thought away for future use.
I just love the colours in this piece - they really resonate with one another.

Judy said...

Connie, this is fabulous!!! I just love it!!

xxoo