Friday, October 4, 2013

Thursday's Paper

 More paper painting yesterday.  The first image is the only piece I scrape painted.  The rest were brayer painted with a 4 inch brayer.  Conventional wisdom says to make sure the brayer surface is consistently coated with paint.  Of course, my druthers say to toss out conventional wisdom as often as possible, to get those unusual blobby areas.




 The last piece, below, is most interesting and might be a favorite.  First I used the sheet to blot leftover paint on my palette paper pad, paint that had been rolled out to print the sheet of paper above.  Then I added water to the palette paper, ala Carla Sonheim's Gelli printing technique, swished the water around on the palette paper with my brayer, then brayered that onto the waiting sheet of paper.  I kept adding water as I picked up a bit more black paint from the palette paper.

I'm keen to try this new technique with color. 

12 comments:

Maggi said...

I really like the fist one and the one with the browns and ochres. The last piece reminds me of ancient decorated walls. I can see a couple of women sitting talking together.

Meg Fowler said...

All of them are good ... but that last one is a real winner!

Leslie said...

Wow again! That first one is a stunner - love the colors. Also love the 3rd and 5th ones. Did some myself last nite but not as cool as yours. Gotta try the last technique - that sheet loos like rain to me. Marvelous!

MegWeaves said...

The painted sheets look like they represent the four (OK, five) seasons. Love the one you're going to try next, too; they look a little like a map, a little like rocks, and a little like what a head doc might ask, "What do you see here?" picture.

Irene said...

They look like good background papers that you could add elements to, although they are perfectly fine as they are too. I like the effect of the last one and would love to see that with colored paint. xox

Sandy said...

More wonderful papers. You'll have fun using them.

john said...

Just plain great. I know we will see them in future works. :-)

Sandra Rude said...

They're all beautiful. I completely agree about "conventional wisdom." Avoid whenever possible, or else the work looks "conventional."

Charlton Stitcher said...

Ditching conventional wisdom and the 'what if' is always a great idea!
Love the last one - doesn't look like a mere background but like a finished piece in waiting to me ... quite mysterious and maybe hinting at decay? Looking forward to seeing a colour version. Will try the approach too. Thanks for the idea.

ginigin said...

They are all so rich and inviting - makes me want to go play with paint. But I really love the last one. It reminds me of the rock formations along one stretch of highway that I used to travel years back. I always felt as thought the rocks there embodied a secret communication that I might discover if I just held the image in my mind a bit. Sometimes I could sense the personality of the rocks peeking out from the ground. Limestone limericks and sandstone sonnets. I would love to know how you get that dappled mottle look - it seems to be a signature element of your work.

jackie said...

I agree the last one is particularly interesting. Thanks for your comment,yes, poor rabbit. I hoped afterwards that I did not offend anyone by the subject matter.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

These look great Connie! Makes me want to get out the paints myself and play. Such interesting textures and great colors.