Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Less Is More

I'm doing some different (for me) collage work now, largely inspired by two new mixed media buddies of mine, John Arbuckle and Terry Garrett.  These guys are both collage gurus for me.

These first three pieces are postcard size and the background is a piece of scrape-painted paper.  Scrape painting is applying the paint with an old credit card, dragging the paint across the surface.


The two above, also postcard size, have as a background a very old original collage of mine that I over painted and textured a couple years ago.

These ATCs began with a small piece of watercolor paper painted several months ago and cut to size yesterday.

I'm enjoying this less-is-more approach to collage and plan to continue on in this vein for a while.  At this point I don't plan to send any of this group of cards to anybody. 

6 comments:

Leslie said...

LOVE the first one! Looks like the old building is sitting on a lake with the sunset glowing on both. Very cool. I like the others too, especially the scraped backgrounds.

I've been following John for a while but Terry is new to me. I like the minimalist look and have been listing slightly that way for a while.

Maggi said...

The scraped background works so well and I really like the perspective in the first one.

Irene said...

Wow Connie. To sound very clich├ęd, those are just awesome. I am blown away. This is so totally different from anything you have made so far that it looks like a different artist made them, yet I know it was you. I am totally impressed!

john said...

WOW! I am totally excited by your new works here. They are really spectacular! Each is really amazing and you are so right about less being more sometimes. Congratulations, Connie!

tgarrett said...

Connie- So glad you are really trying out different things- It's exciting. I love the new stuff- and thank you for your sweet comment!

Charlton Stitcher said...

Just found your lovely blogs via Liz Davidson whom I follow avidly.

Scraped-paper painting is a favourite way of making a background for me. You get such lovely subtle colours - and there's always that happy chance of getting something you didn't expect...