Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Recent Outgoing Mail

Some recently sent mail art.  It's about half U.S. and half international mail.

I'm taking slower days for myself this week, leading up to my NorBAG workshop in Arcata this Saturday.   Teaching always takes a lot of energy, especially for this normally-introverted soul...I can't imagine how so many people teach virtually all year round and travel extensively to do it. 

Although my workshop this weekend, making an Altered Book/Recycled Journal, will be more fun than work for me.  Contact me for more information if you want to participate.

I've been on the hunt recently for an old, manual typewriter to use for mail art projects.  A dear friend gave me her first typewriter, the one she'd asked for and received for her 8th birthday...but alas, it was way too hard for me to push the keys down on.  So I Freecycled that one to another gal, and luckily found myself a Smith Corona Clipper portable at SCRAP in Arcata last week.  These things are virtually impossible to come by in my neck of the woods.



In addition to mail art, I've been painting a bit and creating art journal pages in spurts.  Although moving more slowly than usual this week, until my workshop is over.  Then I'll move forward on projects with renewed vigor.  That's the plan, anyway. 

7 comments:

Irene said...

There is no joy like writing with a 'real' typewriter and hearing the click of the keys when they strike the paper. You must get an enormous kick out of that. Your 'mail art' looks lovely and very imaginative. It must be a lot of fun to make it.

Maggi said...

Wonderful mail art. What a good idea to use a real typewriter too, glad you managed to find one that you could handle.
Good luck with your class, I would so like to be there!

tiedyejudy said...

Amazing that you could find a manual, and even more amazing that they still make ribbons for them... nice! As for teaching, I'm with you. I only do local classes (none this year so far!) and try to rest before, then allow time to recuperate after. But I do love to share what I know with others, and hope to do more soon! Have a great time... can't wait to hear how it goes!

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Great looking mail art -- and I see mine!

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

I'm so glad to hear that worked out well in the end, and that the old one went to a good home. It was meant to be.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Now that the day has passed, I just had to say that that was seriously one of the best Norbag workshops ever! I had a great time, and am still tinkering with my book. You're a terrific instructor. I confess, I haven't been altering books much--I'd lost interest. But you made it fun and interesting again.

john said...

I love to do mail art, too. These are spectacular!