Thursday, May 16, 2013

Paper Collage

I mentioned recently that I've been working with Jane Davies' DVD, Scribble Collage.  I spent a few days last week painting papers, and earlier this week I made eight small collage studies using those papers.  The collages are 7-1/2 x 11 inches, on 140# watercolor paper.

The studies aren't finished pieces, they're just play.  Seeing how papers work together, experimenting with collage structures.

The only caveat to what I've learned from Jane about painting papers is that sumi ink is still ink.  She'd said it dries like acrylic, but it doesn't.  The ink rewetted when I glued those papers down with matte gel medium, and there are ink smudges on the background paper.  Once I realized this, I tossed out those few sheets of paper where I'd used sumi ink.  Next time I try that technique, I'll use watered-down acrylic ink.  (Note: a dear reader informed me that some sumi inks these days have shellac in them, rendering them waterproof.  Clearly, mine did not.)

new painted papers

On today's agenda ~ fire up my Gelli plate.  I'm also in the process of building another book to house Gelli offprint pages for a new art journal.  I loved the one I finished recently (from which I've been posting pages lately) and want another one like it.  Of course, none of the empty-but-waiting newly altered book covers will work for the pages I want to use.  So I'm making a book from scratch which will have a hard spine (which means, I think, that it will be a case bound book), but the signatures will be stitched onto the spine, which is not typical of case bound books.

I realized recently that the best way for me to tackle new creative areas is to move around between things.  I always think I want to move completely through something, like try everything I want to from a new book or DVD before moving on to something else.  But it doesn't work that way in my reality.  I'll get pulled off to something else before I go back to the original thing.  But then it's like going back with fresh eyes, and I see that I've progressed when I pick up the first thing again.  Which is a good thing.

11 comments:

Els said...

Ah, Connie it is wonderful to see collages with your ówn coloured paper !!!
Although you always find beautiful pieces out of magazines, I lke these even better !

The Idaho Beauty said...

Your last paragraph - yes, I've experienced that too. Sometimes it just feels like I'm too scattered, no focus, but in reality, we are sponging up things unaware of how they influence each other. And a break from one intense focus always unleashes more than if we would have stayed with it. Your papers are so beautiful.

Margaret Cooter said...

Not all sumo ink is created equal! It's made of "vegetable oil soot", eg burnt pine branches, and some bur not all sumo ink has shellac added to make it waterproof. The labels, written in Chinese or Japanese, aren't much help, unfortunately....

Margaret Cooter said...

sumi ink, not sumo - that's the automatic spelling getting up to its tricks!

drusilla cole said...

Beautiful collages...Love the colour combinations...plus the dynamic black prints...terrific! And yes...I find I move from one thing to another as the energy plays out...I do finish stuff though!!

Maggi said...

Always good to be able to do things in the way that works best for us. Love the collages. Are the sumi ink pages not redeemable by gessoing over them or even overprinting with acrylic?

tiedyejudy said...

Awesome colors and patterns, Connie! Looks like you are really enjoying yourself with the collages and the books. I'm working with several projects at once myself... not always my choice, but it works out in the end most of the time.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Wonderful painted pages.

Michelle Reuss said...

Wonderful collages and such a treasure trove of painted papers! Simply gorgeous!

B. Diederich said...

Gorgeous! Was trying to think of projects for my students, but I think I will try this myself instead!

Susan Achter said...

These are beautiful collages. I would frame and hang them as is!