Saturday, March 30, 2013

Old Before Her Time

In vintage photos everybody always looks old, even when they're not.  Partly I think it was the photography itself.  But largely it was likely that life was harder in many ways back then and people didn't live nearly as long as we do now.  People were hardened, early on.

About myself, I have to report that life has been getting easier as I've aged -- certainly not physically, but in most other ways.  I am recovering, or rediscovering, my more childlike self.  I am a woman of substance (internal substance, which is the only kind that truly matters), growing younger in spirit as I age.

7 comments:

artymess said...

Love it ....so serious...x

Irene said...

I find that to be true of myself to, although some days I get tired of all of that and wish to be truly young again. xox

The Idaho Beauty said...

Was just thinking about this age thing the other day as I had my yearly "wellness" appointment. Blood work was about perfect and so the NP said that on paper I was perfect! I responded that as I look 60 in the face, I didn't like to admit that it could be the reason for not having quite the pep I used to have. I swear, no matter what the mirror is telling me, these trappings of flesh and bone as wekk, my inner essence is stuck at 40. And I suppose that is a good thing.

ileneharris said...

So happy that I met you on your a()rise...

Valerie Kamikubo said...

This is wonderful. I have a photo of my grandma when she was thirteen. She too, looked very serious.

Susan Christensen said...

It is true, people looked older - I think the harder conditions of living has alot to do with that... one thing that i love about aging myself is the less importance other peoples opinions have to me. i don't like all the aches and pains, though! happy spring, connie! -sus

Jan said...

Another reason for the serious expressions in these old photos is that the exposures took so long that perhaps a smile was too hard to maintain. Sitting still was a serous business!

I like your collages regardless of subject and I'm enjoying the people in your latest.