Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Italy, Then and Now

I finished constructing my Italy travel journal yesterday.  I had a great time working on it.  The journal is 7.5 x 9.5 inches and has three signatures stitched in with the Diamond X stitch.  This stitch requires sewing in all three signatures at one time ~ it was actually pretty easy, once I got past the first couple of sewing stations (holes on the vertical).

The spine was created with wallpaper, the same stuff inside and outside.  There are four layers right on the 1.5 inch spine. 

I'm dedicating the journal to my paternal grandparents, Ben and Sara Berk, who were in Rome in March 1953 -- yep, 60 years ago next March.

The journal has a lot of stitching in it -- every page, actually, except maybe two -- because each folio had to be up to 18 inches long to accommodate the horizontal covers.  And there are close to 30 pockets of one sort or another inside.

Last night we arrived in Venice and today it's a sunny blue-sky day -- or it was...it's now evening Wednesday in Venice although I woke up less than an hour ago on the North Coast.

18 comments:

jenclair said...

I LOVE the spine and the dedication to your grandparents, Connie! A beautiful new journal!

Alice said...

Wonderful spine. It's perfect for this application.

Jeannie said...

The spine is gorgeous and the stitching adds such elegance. It would be so nice to wake up in Venice! So much nicer that the rain/snow here. Bon Voyage!!!

MegWeaves said...

Sigh... SIGH.....

Emma said...

This is great & I loved the info in the last but one post.
Happy Christmas to you & a creative new year!

Irene said...

How lovely, Connie. I would like to have a look at each page. The outside certainly looks good enough. What a very neat front cover.

Leanne said...

that spine is out of this world! Wallpaper! Who'da thunk? :)

susan christensen said...

A beautiful book, Connie - enjoy every moment! xxoo, sus

Barbara Hagerty said...

Your book is beautiful, Connie!

Beth Leintz said...

Wow! You've been busy. Your journal looks fabulous...very inspiring!

Chris said...

What a beautiful book, and I love the spine - it blends so well with the front and back.

BTW, your messages on Yahoo did come through! Yahoo is sometimes very tricky to understand!

Photocat said...

Very graceful, very Venetian if I may say so. I had wondered about wall paper but now you give me proof. The only thing I would worry about is wear and tear. How strong is a paper spine? I put some paper netting over my spine... I love the patterns and your paper choice, and the picture of your grandparents in Rome is divine!

Dar said...

Beautiful!! Love the papers!!

JenEve said...

Gorgeous!

ColetteT said...

It is beautiful. I hope you can post in the Flickr group too for TTV so I can see it better alongside others' work.

Lynette (NZ) said...

This is so beautiful. I love the older world feel with the photos and the cover is gorgeous.

Sandy said...

That's great; wonderful memories.

Jan said...

I really like the dedication--it resonates with my current feelings. The spine of this book is exquisite: so very, very beautiful.

Brava.

love,
Jan