Monday, December 3, 2012

Black and White and Read All Over

"Whole Earth Catalog" book, 4.75x5.5 inches
Recently I found a copy of the millennium edition Whole Earth Catalog at the thrift store, and knew I wanted to make a book with the pages.  There are enough pages to make a small library, as you probably know.  I'm sure many of us grew up with the WEC as a bible of new age, green, counter-cultural resources. 

Coptic bound using hand spun hemp thread

I used random pages from the catalog, covering all manner of subjects, and bound them in with the text running alternately horizontally and vertically.  I didn't intend for the pages to be written on.  The paper is a bit thinner than preferable for writing or drawing on, but heavy enough to hold up well to hand binding.

So, no function necessarily.  Except to be a cool hand bound book.

10 comments:

Jeannie said...

It is a cool book and pretty to see! I love that you alternated the direction of the text, fun!

maggi21.com said...

Nothing wrong with just making a lovely book for the sake of it.I'd not heard of that catalogue before

Diane Wright said...

VERY cool!

deb said...

Hi Connie, yep I agree, very cool indeed!

Judy said...

Boy does that bring back memories! I can visualize our very first copy sitting on our very first coffee table in Riverside, CA, 1971.

Your book is fabulous! What a great idea Connie!

xxoo

Irene said...

I bet that's a lot of fun to look at and to look through. You did a great job and it looks very sturdy and solid which is how a book should be. Most of all, it looks like a work of art. xox

jenclair said...

Lovely--so graphic!

Sandy said...

There's something so dramatic about black and white. Great book.

FojAga said...

It's look fantastic!!!

Alice said...

This is a wonderful book. I did something similar recently, cut up a bunch of old architectural drawings and bound them randomly into a small book to give back to the architect. Very satisfying project.