Monday, October 8, 2012

Old Stuff

The last big rummage sale of the season happened on Saturday, the Humboldt Sponsors sale that raises money for children's programs on the North Coast.  It's always a good one for old linens, and this year was no exception.  In the photo above you'll see about 90% of what I got -- the rest hadn't been ironed yet when I took the photo.  I loaded up on tea napkins and tea tablecloths and a few assorted other goodies -- all linen, all beautiful.

This is my faux ecodyed shirt, another find at just $1.  This is one of those hunter camo shirts, with oak trees and leaves printed on.  I can't pass up a good men's shirt, they're all I wear, truth be told.  Pants, jeans and undies are the only women's things I buy, everything else I buy men's (including men's cotton a-shirts instead of frilly camis -- I can't stand the lycra and itchy lace in the latter).

I like the way men's shirts fit and I buy 'em big.  I like my clothes loose and comfy.  Men's shirts are far better made than women's clothes are, they last a lifetime, they always come with extra buttons, the stitching never comes out, the colorways are more to my liking.  I've built a wardrobe of men's shirts that have hardly cost me anything.  This summer I got into wearing aloha shirts ~ I have a collection of nine, some silk, the rest rayon, I paid less than $1 on average for each of them, and each one has years of life left in it.

There's a saying that you keep repeating something until you finally learn the lesson ~ and I had my final repeat over the weekend of something that's taken me eons to learn.   I created a sales event for myself at a friend's shop in downtown Eureka on Saturday, and just repeated what I'd really already learned -- my artwork hardly and rarely sells.  It's too hard on me emotionally when it doesn't, and I've finally got that one deep in my gut. 

The amount of internal grief I suffer isn't worth the very few bucks I make -- which, in this case, just about covered my gas into Eureka and a few prep supplies I bought beforehand.  Lesson learned.  This, too, is old stuff.

7 comments:

Jeannie said...

I am so sorry your show wasn't the huge success I had hoped it would be - dang! Major score at the sale!!! I have been sorting through my stash and marveling at the stitchwork and the integrity of cloth. I am with you on men's clothing, as I sit here in a guy's Henley.

Irene said...

I think you could be ready to start saving for your trouseau. In the 60's young women still did that. I was supposed to have saved for mine also and already had the money in the bank. I would love to have some longsleeved, cotten, lace edged night gowns down to my ankles. Do you ever run into these?

KrisR said...

I've reached the same conclusions with selling my work.....it's not worth the time and effort and emotional angst when it doesn't sell.

I pretty much give everything away now days - trying to fit the item with the person. And, I try to remind myself to give without expectation - it seems to help when something isn't appreciated as much as I think it should be. :)

I think I ultimately realized that I simply need to create - and once the creation is finished - I'm ready to move on from it.

Meg in Nelson said...

Why are men's clothes better made anyway? And why are their fabric better constructed?

jenclair said...

While I don't expect everyone to like what I do, selling has always felt like a way to get my feelings hurt. People rarely consider the hours of work that go into a creative piece and don't appreciate one-of-a-kind pieces full of an artist's energy.

I use my husband's old shirts in the studio--especially when working with paint or clay. Sometimes I just tie the arms around my waist and use them as aprons.

Sandy said...

Great finds. A lot of my things are from thrift shops. I rarely like the current "fashion".

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Connie. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that people let go of beautiful linens. Just look at the work in them! I'm envious of your finds! I so agree about men's shirts (I've appropriated a bunch from my husband), and It's a pity your sales didn't meet your expectations. I gave up selling long ago--there's just too much time in each piece. Sometimes I think I could find a market for my mosaic pots, but I want to keep those for my garden!
best, nadia