Thursday, October 4, 2012

Formal Affair

I can't stop making books.  It's such a satisfying thing to do. 

My most recent is this black and white fabric-covered book with 5x7 pages that alternate between black and white throughout.  I used a new-to-me binding stitch.  I'm sure this stitch has a name and that many others use it.  But I didn't get it from a book, I didn't search online for a tutorial.  Instead I figured it out on paper, along with another couple stitches, and then tried them.  The photo below are my little test books from the day before, trying out two of the stitches.

The key to these "new" stitches is sewing in two signatures at the same time and alternating the thread from one signature to the other to create the stitches on the spine. 

Am I having fun yet?  Need you ask?  I already have half a bookshelf filled with handmade books.  I'm on a roll.

9 comments:

Jan said...

Are there any public spaces in Eureka that show art? Here we have the Art League, but you have to be a member. The county courthouse has art exhibits on the first and fifth floors, including cases for things that don't hang on the wall. Our library in Aptos has a good sized case mounted on the wall for art--hanging and/or on shelves.

Seems like a selection of your books would be perfect for these kinds of venues.

Jeannie said...

LOL! Yes, I do think you are on a roll! I love the X stitch. It looks nice and tidy and fantastic on the Graphic cover. Keep having fun!

Sandra Rude said...

Beautiful book, Connie!

Meg in Nelson said...

Isn't it positively delightful to come to something on your own? I know I was, when I "invented" the two-faced twill.

Irene said...

I can imagine being hooked on this art form and not wanting to stop making them. I just hope you don't run out of shelf space. Will your other books have to go?

I really like this black and white one and it looks like a piece of pop art. I'm right back into the 60's.

Sandy said...

YOu're hooked. Isn't it fun? These are very nice.

Margaret Cooter said...

You're having so much fun with the books - and they are gorgeous, in fact an inspiration to me to stop dithering and getting distracted, and getting back to the delightful occupation of making books, useful books, unexpected books. I hope to see lots more of yours coming into being!

jenclair said...

I can understand the compulsion--the pleasure of the process and the pleasure of the product! Love the addition of the black and white, formal attire, latest handmade book!

Maggi said...

I can understand that you are finding these so compulsive and the new binding stitches look very effective.