Wednesday, August 8, 2012

World History

My latest book began its life as a Book of World History, circa early 20th century, maybe about 1930 to be more precise.  Although the cover was in decent shape, it was kind of boring.  So instead of altering it, I covered it with discharged fabric.  I like the simplicity of it.  I'm really drawn to handmade books with all kinds of elements on them, but simple seems to be my modus operandi.

The project was to create a book with sewn-on tapes, like last week's, but with the binding hidden by the existing book spine.  As before, the book block is comprised of heavy drawing paper, book pages and bits of old wallpaper.  The book measures 8x11 inches and the signatures were stitched with waxed handspun silk.

I really love it.  I could become addicted to book making...oops, I think I already am!

9 comments:

Mary Ann said...

mmmm let simplicity do its lovely work!

Jeannie said...

Yes, you have! Beautiful cover on the book.

Maggi said...

I think you are addicted too. Another lovely book which really shows off that beautiful fabric.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Somehow the discharged fabric seems to lend itself to a history book, I think. I really love your work here... only wish I could peek inside a bit more :-)

susan christensen said...

Really great looking, Connie - how satisfying! -sus

Sandy said...

I'm addicted to bookmaking too and love to see what you do-very inspiring

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

I just knew your love of fabric was going to wind up becoming book covers! It's happened sooner than I expected. Bookmaking is indeed extremely addictive. I'm so pleased you've succumbed! I'd love to see this book in the flesh--very interesting!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Cool. Love these books.

Jan said...

I wish I understood the process--I guess I need to do some research. If only I had the time...

love this

xo