Thursday, August 23, 2012

Two New Books

I completed two books yesterday as third-week projects in Mary Ann's online class.  The focus was on chain stitch.  This first book was an old novel that I removed the book block from.  The spine was in okay shape but I decided to cover it.  The spine cover panel is hand dyed and printed cotton fused to muslin, with decorative machine stitching on the edges.  The chain stitching holds six individual signatures.  The book is 5.5 x 7.7 inches.

The second book was a technical drawing textbook that had its book block removed.  The cover and spine were in great shape but not to my liking.  So I covered it with one of my best pieces of shibori fabric.  The binding is triple chain stitch, holding in just three signatures.  It goes so well with the shibori pattern that you can hardly see the chocolate brown waxed thread.  This book is 7.5 x 10 inches.


I see a lot of books in my future covered with hand dyed shibori fabrics.

11 comments:

Judy said...

Connie, they are so gorgeous!
I need/want to take a class from her too!

xo

jenclair said...

Beautiful, Connie! What a useful and decorative way to use your lovely hand-dyed fabrics!

Sandy said...

Oh WOW! They are stunning.

Maggi said...

Beautiful Connie. I love the chain stitch and triple chain stitch, a real decorative feature.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

These are just fantastic! Truly.

Jeannie said...

Connie, your books are gorgeous. I love the stitching on the shibori book cover and the art deco design around the title of the top one is fabulous. Truly wonderful books.

Michelle said...

The fabric you've used on these journals makes them so intriguing and unique! I've yet to make a journal with either of the chain stitches; I sort of got stalled in the first style Mary Ann taught and I was afraid to make too many more blank journals. As I get closer to the end of my current FTB journal, I definitely want to try this stitch! Thank you for the inspiration!

susan christensen said...

You have found such a perfect use for your lovely hand-dyes, Connie. Great to see your well-crafted work. -sus

Jan said...

Oh my. I'd really like to take this class, too. Every one of the books you've shared is so wonderful and inspiring. Sigh. They almost make me weep.

citifacility said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
citifacility said...

Brilliant piece of work I am full of admiration , I can 't leave your blog before admitting that your creativeness.
Retaining walls