Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Foolin' Around

I've been working with Rayna Gillman's Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts without having anything particular in mind.  I can't remember the last time I just played with fabric and stitch.  It's great fun.

I started by sewing together a set of strips, below.  What you see is 2/3 of the original piece.  The last third was cut into three squares, the first of which is above after having been sliced, diced and restripped numerous times.  The last photo shows the other two squares after two shots at slicing and stitching.


This is a terrific way to use up leftovers, scraps, fabrics I previously hadn't wanted to cut into, fabrics I never thought I'd use...not to mention UFOs and recycled quilt blocks.  Highly recommended!  As is Rayna's book...which might be the only book at Amazon to have a 100% 5-star rating by its 33 reviewers.

10 comments:

jenclair said...

So many lovely batiks! I love the improvisational style of your piece. Looks like you did have fun.

Gerrie said...

So much fun! I love this.

Rayna said...

Makes me smile, Connie - I love what you've done (but don't I always??). Thanks for the nice review - I'm glad you're having fun. It is definitely a stress-free way to work.
xo

susan christensen said...

Does look like glorious fun - all that COLOR! -sus

Jeannie said...

I love what you are creating, Connie! I think I have some of those "precious" batiks, too. Gorgeous colors. Keep having fun.

Meg Fowler said...

Fabulous, Connie! Now I know what to do with my hoard of batiks ... just as soon as I go out and buy Rayna's book!!! (Why don't I have this one already???)

tiedyejudy said...

Love what you're coming up with! And I also love Rayna's book... hope to get back to playing with her techniques this fall, 'cause I sure have plenty of stash I need to use! Lots of fun, that's for sure!

Jan said...

This is so fun and the technique is very appealing. I may have to get this book as my own reward for myself for the work I'm doing finding a place for Mom and getting Dad moved in here. Whew!

I like what you've done!!!

xo

Judy said...

Fabulous Connie!!!

xo

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Connie. Really enjoyed this post. I can tell you had fun--such energy in that piece along with marvelous fabrics and colors. Nothing like playing. I'm playing, too--throwing down fabric on a base; bright colors of the same value. Can't decide whether I hate it or like it, but I'll most certainly cut it all up and sew it back together again for something else.
best, nadia