Thursday, June 28, 2012

Busy Early Summer

I've been taking printmaking lessons from local artist Patricia Sennott.  This is "real" printmaking ~ monotypes on good paper with etching ink on a plate, printed on a press.  As opposed to the type of printmaking I normally do ~ acrylic paint rolled over stencils right onto the paper or fabric. 

I am planning to translate the techniques I'm learning into my work with acrylics.  The monoprints I've made, or attempted to make, in the past were with thickened dye on a plate, then printed on fabric...and actually it didn't work very well.  Thickened dye is fabulous for many applications, but monoprinting is not one of them.

This first piece is a three color registration -- the plate was inked and printed three separate times.  The image is a photo I shot a couple years ago, of a pontoon dock in the Eureka harbor.

The next two pieces are one each of three related prints using handcut stencils.  These were the showiest of each set.  If you're on Facebook, check out my whole Printmaking Album.


In other studio news, today I plan to finish the first of two quilts for Fiberactions' July 15 challenge.  The second piece is just waiting to be quilted.

I've also been taking an Altered Journal class online taught by Tammy at Daisy Yellow Art.  I'm having a great time doing things to an altered book that I likely never would have thought of on my own.  I especially love Tammy's enlightened view that an art journal can be anything you want it to be.  What a terrific sense of freedom and possibility. 

So much of the material out there on art journaling seems to be somewhat formulaic ~ each author/artist has their own way of doing it and often their books or classes appear as though their way is THE way.  It's like that with a lot of art, actually, not just journaling.  And I've always shied away from becoming enthralled by gurus of any sort.

7 comments:

Jeannie said...

Connie, your prints are gorgeous! I am so intriqued and in love with what you made. Thanks for the info on Daisy Yellow Art. I will go there when I have some time. You are so right about the gurus. I was magazine shopping yesterday and all of the mixed media magazines looked the same. It was as if they all had the same palette, inspiration, and instructions. I purchased a British gardening magazine instead. ;) Hope you are having some sunshine and a beautiful day.

Sandy said...

How fun. I like your prints. I can see your work adding a new dimension.

Maggi said...

The prints are fantastic. I too have found that thickened dyes are not good for monoprinting, pity as I really prefer to use them. Thanks for the link to Daisy Yellow Art.

tiedyejudy said...

I love what you are doing! Years ago I took a printmaking class, and I still have a print of one of my 'etchings' on the wall... and I love your comments on the freedom to do what you want. I'm a big believer that there are many ways to do something. Having used dyes for awhile now, I have learned not to lock into just one way of doing something. I'll definitely check out your Printmaking Album on FB, and keep us posted!

Els said...

Always love the prints you make on fabric !!!

Valerie Kamikubo said...

These are wonderful! I especially love the second print. I've been thinking a lot about printing recently because I ran across a vintage print on etsy that was created by my printmaking instructor in college (so many years ago!). I think I'm going to buy it.

jenclair said...

You really are expanding your creative palette! Love the experimenting with your art journal--you will have so many ideas to bring to your projects.