Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Last Summer

This is the quilt I've been working on the last four days.  I began Friday morning from scratch, and completely finished it yesterday.  All the fabrics are ecodyed, and there's silk, rayon, linen and cotton in the mix.  And it is entirely hand stitched/hand quilted.  The name is  Last Summer and it measures 16 x 21 inches.

I began it originally because I momentarily worried that the two quilts I've completed for this week's Fiberactions reveal might not satisfy the "monotone" challenge theme -- although in reality, they do.  But with this quilt I also have another piece to hang for my April show in Eureka.

For some time I've been pondering the best way to hang these more delicate ecodyed hand quilted pieces in lieu of using the traditional sleeve and slat which would be overkill.  I've asked a few other artists doing delicate work how theirs hangs in galleries, and all stated that they simply put pins through the corners of the fabric right onto the gallery wall.  Well, that might work in some galleries, but I've been leery of considering entering shows with this work knowing the gallery would have to pin it to the wall when everything else in the show quilt-wise would arrive with an attached sleeve and hanging slat.

And then it came to me ~ I'm stitching small sterling silver rings, the kind that came with sterling clasps and fancy S-hooks when I was a jeweler, onto the upper corners of the pieces.  The rings slip over tiny nails in the wall, just like eyehooks on slats do.  And the rings have the added advantage of letting the quilt or fabric hang with more drape than it would with a traditional setup.

Look for my two challenge quilts this Thursday.

12 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

Beautiful piece, Connie! I'm sure your show will look fabulous - wish I could see it too.

jenclair said...

Beautiful piece and thanks for the detail shots that let us look a little closer!

Creative solution to the hanging predicament.

Jeannie said...

Beautiful, Connie. I too wish I could get to Eureka for your show. I saw an inspired hanging technique this weekend. The artist had made a hanging with handmade paper that was very delicate. She hung a metal "branch" and then used tiny magnets to hang the paper on the metal rod. The magnets almost looked like thorns on the branch as they were very small.

Irene said...

I do love this quilt, Connie. It's even better in close up. Your solution to hanging it is great.

Julie Schubert said...

Amazing quilt Connie!
I'm antsy to do some more eco-printing.... just need some new leaves to pop out!

susan christensen said...

An elegant hanging solution, Connie. I would love to see a detail photo when you have time. The quilt here shown is a beauty. -sus

The Idaho Beauty said...

So lovely - you're really getting good at unforced designs. This has such a quiet beauty. Inspired hanging solution too!

Lynda Howells said...

gorgeous Connie...well donexx

Alice said...

This piece is a real beauty - very understated but rich. Must be gorgeous in person.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

This quilt has such wonderful depth to it. I like your idea of using the rings, and I like the idea that they're sterling. It seems to add to the preciousness of the piece I think. I don't use the word in a cute way, but as a way of describing the process and time involved.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Lovely!

Morna said...

I too have grappled endlessly with the question of how to display the textile pieces. Around my house I just use straight pins at the corners, straight into the wall. I love your solution and i will be trying it out. I very much like the fact that it will allow the piece to hang with a bit of air between it and the wall; also that it is a "finished" approach. brilliant, Connie!