Monday, January 9, 2012

What's it all about, Alfie?

This is a new handstitched quilt I'm working on.  I've only got one line of stitching in it, down the middle.  Unfortunately, my wrists have really been bothering me, so I expect this piece to be slow coming to fruition.  It's not large, about 20x15 inches.  Still, a lot of hand quilting recently is taking its toll.

Last week I completed my second piece for the Fiberactions challenge.  Look for the reveal this Sunday, January 15.

I'm not sure what I'm up to creatively, otherwise, at the moment.  Seems like a good time to rest my hands while something develops.  I'm still in this place of no thrust, have no overall sense of what "my work" is.  Different than "my voice," which I am watching develop over time.

By turns I am overwhelmed with possibilities, yet feel no deep compulsion to move in any direction.  So here I be, piddling along, waiting for a burst of inspiration.

And see, in the end it doesn't matter.  I don't mean that in the sense of being resigned or fatalistic in any way.  It's just that it's the truth.  I find myself grappling with this thing called motivation, and I'm completely unclear about where it comes from and whether or not I even need it...in life in general, at this point in my life, whatever.  I'm still recovering from a lifetime of haveto's and should's. 

Getting awfully philosophical here, so I'll stop.  Have a good week. 

11 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

This one is going to be gorgeous. Love those fabrics! But take your time, and give your hands and wrists time to relax.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Like where this one is going!

Marié said...

I was waiting to get some insight in your thoughts and philosophy- glad you shared.

tiedyejudy said...

Sometimes we just need to be, don't you think? I love being involved with a creative project, but I'm finding it can't be the only thing I do every day. There is much to be experienced and enjoyed in this life... and I love your comment about recovering from a lifetime of haveto's and should's! My Mom used to say "Thou shalt not should on thyself"... that was real growth for her, because she was driven by perfectionism! At least in her later years, she had learned to relax more... remember that old beer commercial that said "you only go around once in life, so grab all the gusto you can get" or words to that effect? Well, sometimes the 'gusto' is a nap, or sitting in the sun, or reading a good book. We need to give ourselves permission to just be, and recognize that we aren't what we do, you know? Enjoy the now!

jenclair said...

Everything seems to go in cycles, but having plenty of ideas and no motivation is frustrating.

Your new piece is great. Maybe just peacefully stitching will help soothe you while you wait for the next cycle.

susan christensen said...

This is a great start, Connie. I hope you experience relief for your wrist pain - rest is a good thing. Maybe you are just to watch and listen now for a bit. Looking forward to our Sunday reveal! -sus

Els said...

Take it easy, Connie !
I love your piece, the striped bit (the end of the bundle) is so beautiful !
Sometimes it's só good to wait a bit and do little or nothing. It might be this time of the year : I'm experiencing similar feelings ...
Take care, you have to use your hands a looooooong time !

Jeannie said...

As Judy said, sometimes one just needs to "be". I always feel like the winter months are time for reflection. The ideas pop up, but the motivation isn't there. I realize that I am tired. If I hadn't paused, I would not have sensed this. So rest your mind and your wrists, the motivation will follow. (A physical therapist told me to play with playdoh daily. It helps to exercise the tiny muscles we rarely use and is giving enough so as not to be too strenuous. I just wish it smelled better.;-o)

Meg in Nelson said...

I've been thinking what my work is, too. But in your opinion, what the difference between that and your voice, pray tell??

Lorraine@creativedaily said...

Down time is good Connie, gives us a chance to reflect and repurpose so to speak. Love the direction of this piece. Take care.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Is there a difference between 'your work' and 'your voice'? I am all confused about what each of those is. When I feel like you describe I think it is the Scottish Presbyterian 'must be occupied'upbringing getting to me.