Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I'm Baaaack!

I felt some creative juice returning a couple days ago, and lo and behold I'm actually working on things again.

I completed this little handquilted piece yesterday -- eco dyed recycled linen and raw silk backed with an unusual commercial batik.  Streamers measures 21 x 15 inches.

Saturday I steeped a pot of eco dyed fabric -- I'll post photos of the finished fabric on Wednesday.  I'd been given a small piece of silk/wool fabric that I was anxious to work with...hoping once again that I could get an orange color from my local eucalyptus, which didn't subsequently happen.  Although the fabric is beautiful nonetheless.

Monday I prepped two quilts -- one to be machine quilted for the latest Fiberactions challenge, the other one to be handstitched.  I'll also likely do a second Fiberactions piece for this challenge, as I did for the last one.  Since I have so few things going on this year, I've decided to get more work done by completing more than one piece for each challenge.

A friend gave me some little jars of Jacquard Procion dyes about a year ago, and I'm planning to dye about five yards of mixed fabric later this week via the Jar Dyeing Method.

I've noticed that when I'm in a fallow period, what happens for me is that I cease being able to make any creative decisions.  Which is why I stop taking action.  Being creative is all about making decisions, all the time.  And sometimes it all just feels overwhelming and I have to stop.  But I'm good to go again now, for a while.

12 comments:

susan christensen said...

Well welcome back, Connie - I love what you have done with the little beads on this piece. I continue to admire your ecodyes so much! Working on 2 for Fiberactions, myself. Good day to you, sus

Deb Levy said...

Looks wonderful Connie, the beads add a fun detail to your 'streamers'.

And welcome back! Two pieces for each challenge...very ambitious!

Sandra Rude said...

This is a beautiful quilt, Connie! Really love it!

Nora said...

I guess you're like Mother Nature and you have your fallow periods as well as your productive ones. You must not despair when you do and remember that this is the way it is (my seasonal fallowness just happens to last a very long time).

jenclair said...

I think your point about the inability to make decisions very interesting. It seems that perhaps it is a logical part of the creative process, making you step back from your work and allowing it to assimilate or integrate in some way. Just as sleep provides a step back from life and an integration of thoughts and events from the day.

I love the hand quilting and the beading!

stitchinglife said...

Welcome back; a rest is as good as a change :-)

Lorraine@creativedaily said...

Your beading has really brought the beautiful dyed background to life.

Jeannie said...

I also love how the beads contrast with the eco dyed fabric. This is really a beautiful piece, Connie. Have you tried tray dyeing? I like the way the colors meander into each other. I had an aha moment when you wrote about creative decisions. It is so true! Thanks for the insight.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I'm glad that you're no longer laying fallow, Connie. I wish like crazy that I could get out of my current rut. The piece above is gorgeous! Blessings to you!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I feel like I'm back too - finally. It was a long haul and you are right about the fallow times. Now things are just coming without the forced march fight.

This is a great piece, btw. Love the use of beads.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Connie. Beautiful piece and the beads and stitching really enhance the fabric. Very subtle piece (ok, I'm envious, I can't do subtle). However, I don't get going through the desert--I would think all those wonderful collages you do would inspire you in fabric. I keep thinking, "now how could these collages be interpreted into fabric?" Maybe there's not a crossover? Glad you're back, though!
best, nadia

Lynda Howells said...

welcome backxxjust love your work. l have about 6 projects on the go at one time..xxlynda