Friday, December 16, 2011

Pot's Worth

I cooked up a pot of eco dyed fabric last Sunday, and this is what I got ~

These are all cellulose fabrics, mostly old cotton and one or two old linen.   For plant material, most bundles had BIG oak leaves I gathered by the road over a month ago.  I'd kept them in the fridge in a big flat ziploc bag with newspaper between layers of leaves.

First photo, though, has euc leaves from a "new to me" tree in the neighborhood.  It has much smaller leaves than the variety I've used up to now.  What makes this piece so interesting is what the fabric was wrapped around -- a thin strip of rusty metal that was folded in thirds.  The spaces between the metal parts left this kind of checked pattern.

Second photo is oak leaves and onion skins around copper pipe.

Some bundles were wrapped around aluminum pipes.  Although I only have two of those that I got from a muffler shop a few months ago, I made additional aluminum pipes by wrapping heavy duty aluminum foil around short pieces of PVC.

Third photo is tin can lids and oak leaves.  I just love what those lids do in the dyepot.

The pot itself had some walnut dye and black rust water in it.  Most of the bundles were wrapped around aluminum or copper pipes.  Two or three had rusty things in them.

The next photo shows oak leaves with the fabric wrapped up around a flattened piece of aluminum.  Actually it was the shade from a cheap shop lamp the switch of which had gone bad after 12 years of constant use.  I flattened the shade by jumping on it. 
The next photo is my tried-and-true big leaved euc wrapped around a rusty car spring.  Notice the striations from the spring at the bottom.


The last three are oak leaves in fabric wrapped around various things.

Hope you have a great weekend!


16 comments:

deanna7trees said...

ohhh...nice results. so much fun to unbundle.

Alice said...

They make me think of chest x-rays - but in a good way.

Sandy said...

you've been busy-nice patterns. Aren't old cottons wonderful to work with?

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Oh, Connie! That copper pipe one is incredible! I love the idea of using aluminum foil around pvc piping. Thanks for the idea, and for sharing your beautiful results.

Nora said...

You certainly got some very interesting results. Some of them are just out of this world. It must be such an anxious time when you start unwrapping them and you don't know yet what the result is going to be. I guess you always strive for improvement when you discover a new effect.

Terrie said...

All are awesome artpieces. The one of oak leaves and onion skin is yummy !

Jeannie said...

Wow!!! I love the checkerboard effect. You really have the gift for eco dying! Have fun.

Rayna said...

Connie, these are amazing pieces -- fortunately, I don't have to make a choice:-). They just get better and better as you go along.

Deb Levy said...

gorgeous pieces Connie! My fav is #2, followed closely by #1, but they are all wonderful!

Dip and Stain said...

These turned out some great prints, Connie. Great explanations also. Keep up the good work.

Sandra Rude said...

Fascinating group of fabrics! You'll get some great quilt ingredients out of these.

ileneharris said...

Ooohhhh - these are cool! The quilt guild members will enjoy seeing how you achieve such amazing patterns...

tiedyejudy said...

Beautiful! Some of them make me think of fossils... I especially love the oak leaf ones! And you are getting so resourceful! Stomping on an old lamp shade... aluminum around pvc! It's like abstract painting, or mixed media! Whatever feels right... try it! You should write an article for QA magazine!

lizet frijters said...

They are all lovely and very different. I love them all. Thanks for giving such an in detail information on how they are done. Did you heat up the aluminium around the PVC? I just ask as I believe it is pretty dangerous to heat up PVC.

jenclair said...

All of them are beautiful, Connie! You definitely have the right touch!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

WOW those are amazing.