Sunday, November 13, 2011

Walnut Shibori

I finally have a local source for walnut hulls, and I processed a batch over the last two days.  I had about two quarts of hulls, green and brown (plus a walnut or two) ~ and with two extractions I now have nearly two gallons of gorgeous inky sepia colored dye.  I couldn't resist sticking a couple pieces of bound fabric into the extraction pot.

I haven't used walnuts before.  It's pretty amazing how much color you get from them, also how far a small amount will go.  I could have done several more extractions and still gotten gallons more dye...but I'm out of gallon jars and can always get more hulls when I need them.  FYI if you've been looking for an eco dye that will dye nylon, walnut is it.  I had another piece of fabric scrunched up in nylon mesh in the pot, and that nylon is permanently a very dark brown!

I have a big eco dyed piece waiting to be unbundled.  It's a cotton button down shirt that I processed last Thursday.  It's been sitting outside since Friday morning.  Sometime this week I'll unwrap it.  I'm planning to wear it to a community Thanksgiving supper next Saturday.  

8 comments:

Downunderdale said...

really beautiful - your work is always wonderful

Meg in Nelson said...

Walnuts are the only dye material I am somewhat familiar with - and I love the nuanced browns you get. Lovely!

Jeannie said...

Beautiful cloth, Connie. I look forward to seeing your shirt.

Judy said...

Lovely! Don't forget to post a picture of you in your shirt on Turkey Day!

xo

artymess said...

Lovely work ...what a great colour .....we walked past a walnut tree on our walk a couple of weekends ago didn't realise you could dye with them ....x

Lynda Howells said...

I use walnuts a lot, l agree with you Connie, the dye is fantastic and a little goes a LONG way. I also draw and write with it on paper ( as an ink ) and on fabric. Looking forward to seeing your blouse. The above fabrics are gorgeousxxlynda

Jan said...

Very cool! I'm really enjoying your eco-dyeing adventures.

hugs!

Quilt or Dye said...

Lucky you!! I have to beg my mother in Indiana to send me the hulls. Apparently Black Walnut trees don't grow in Maine. What mordant do you use with the black walnut or do you find it doesn't need one?