Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Loving It

I'm hooked!  This is my first quilt with botanically dyed fabric.  It's wholecloth, measures 13 x 14.5 inches, and has a layer of thin cotton batting between the front and back.  I can't tell you how much I enjoyed working on this piece.  I know it's the combination of handstitching on old linen that was naturally dyed with plant materials.  The perfect confluence of elements.

I understand, now, what I think must be the essence of the Slow Cloth movement ~ developing an intimate relationship with a piece of cloth.

More work like this already planned.

8 comments:

Nora said...

That's fabulous, Connie. I really like it. It sure gives a surprising effect. I hope you'll enjoy using the method for a long while.

Judy said...

I'm loving it too Connie! What caused the black on the left side and the long horizontal skinny lines on the right side? If these are trade secrets I'll understand!

xo

Deb Levy said...

It's beautiful Connie! So organic, I love it!

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Connie, this has turned out stunningly beautiful... the thread lines co-mingling with the prints. I too, am hooked :-)

susan christensen said...

I'm with you, Connie - this is a very compelling piece. The nice range and depth of contrasting values you got with the materials adds to the interest! I look forward to seeing more.

Jeannie said...

This is so striking! I love the organic nature of the design (no pun intended!) It is really beautiful.

Sandra Rude said...

Love the coloration, the shapes of the leaves - a beautiful piece!

Maggi said...

No wonder you are hooked, these are stunning.