Sunday, September 11, 2011

Good Score

The city of Ferndale held its community-wide yard sale this weekend, and I picked up a few goodies.  The pile above is largely table linens, just washed and waiting to be ironed and stored.

This is a brass teapot, which will be used for eco dyeing.  It cost me $1.00!

After the big yard sale yesterday, I attended a music festival out in the boonies in a community called Kneeland, which is on a ridgetop 15 miles east of Eureka, way above the fog and cooler coastal temps.  Imagine my surprise when I found myself coming to, surrounded by volunteer fire & rescue folks, just moments after collapsing from the heat right in front of the entry ticket booth!  I'm fine now -- after eventually returning to "normal" yesterday afternoon, sitting in a shady, breezy spot listening to music.  When I lived in SoHum, unbelievably nearly nine years ago already, summer temps frequently got over 100 degrees for days in a row.  I didn't like it, but I was acclimated to it.  Not so anymore!

I have a pot of bundles eco dyeing as we speak, in a bath of tan oak acorns.  Will reveal the results mid-week.

I recently joined California Fiber Artists, a group of about 35 fiber artists from throughout California.  I've already been juried into a show in Oakland, CA at the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) that runs from October 20 to December 9.  If you're in the Bay Area, I hope you'll see the show.  I'll mention it again in mid-October.

I'm loving this early autumn ~ the angle of the sun, the shortening days, the crisper air.  Definitely my time of year.

7 comments:

Gerrie said...

Congrats! That is a great group for you to be part of. Take care of yourself, BTW!!

Sandy said...

Be careful-heat can be very dangerous. I'm glad you are OK. Those are wonderful finds. Congratulations on getting into the show.

Els said...

Connie !!! What a catch ! Worth sweating (again) over the ironing board !
Glad you recovered from the heat collaps, must be "funny" to be surrounded by unfamiliar concerned friendly faces .....
Great to be in the show !

susan christensen said...

Yee Gods, Connie!!! Heat stroke! Your bargains are great. xxoo, sus

Nora said...

I'm glad you recovered well form your heatstroke. Don't get another one over the ironing board. I love your copper pot for one dollar. What a find! Take care of yourself. XOX

Lorraine@creativedaily said...

Some very good treasures here Connie!

jackie said...

I think I might well go into a state of collapse just with excitement if I found a bargain pile of linen like that! Hope you are Ok and thanks for the comment.