Sunday, July 31, 2011

Inspirational Art

Over the last few days I worked on this little personal quilt ~ my modern version of a Tibetan thangka.

The Summer 2011 issue of Tricycle magazine included a lovely card of Guanyin, the bodhisattva of compassion.  I printed the image (several versions available on Tricycle's website) on raw silk and fused it to a favorite piece of paper I made in the early 1990s.  Quilted, beaded and further embellished. 

I've had that ribbon on the left side for almost 20 years as well -- bought it at one of the last Renaissance Faire's in the original location in Marin County, and wore it for years on a jacket I no longer have.

It's nice to use things one has had for eons ~ those small special things you know you'll use sometime in the future, somewhere along the line.

Guanyin hangs on the wall of my studio now.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

How special. I like using those types of things too.

Sharon said...

This was no coincidence. The future was waiting for you to arrive. Beautiful piece.

Nora said...

I used to go to that Renaissance Fair. I always felt very much at home there. I loved it when we had to make way for the Queen and her entourage. Those were fun days. I wish I could go again.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Peaceful and special.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I agree. Seems I'm running into a lot of things lately like your ribbon, saved forever and I doubt myself for doing so. And then along comes a quilt within which it not only CAN reside, but without which it would not be complete.

Vicki W said...

That's why I never throw anything fiber-related out. I throw out all kinds of other stuff though to make room for the fibers!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Found your lovely blog while surfing the internet and trying to beat the heat. Your textile work/play is fantastic, very exciting.
best, nadia