Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chemical Soup

These are the best from Monday's discharge pots.  Most fabrics were processed in thiox, a few in bleach/water solution.  They're all cotton and/or linen with the exception of the handwoven piece right below.

This handwoven piece was black cotton warp and black Tencel weft, and I'd woven it in a network draft.  If you look hard you can see circles in the weave ~ they were much more noticeable before discharging, with the light playing differently off the two fibers.  It looks African to me now.  It's 30x15", just perfect for a wall piece without necessarily being quilted.







The range of resulting colors from the different black dyes fascinate me, and I love the palette.  The three at the top left were bleached.

I neglected to mention in yesterday's post that I listed six new fabric bundles for sale on my Sales Blog over the weekend.  Hope you like them!

6 comments:

Nora said...

I quite like these, Connie. I like the fact that they do look so African. It makes them extra appealing to me. I like all African looking prints, even the ones that don't look like animal prints but are just plain colorful and stylized, They are usually very happy creations.

susan christensen said...

You know, I see the African, but I also see water and bones. Nice work.

Jan said...

I love, love these! Brava!

Jan said...

I also think you are so brave to dye/discharge fabrics you've woven...but I guess that's what you surface-design folk DO. :-)

Sandy said...

wonderful fabrics. I never get such nice ones when I've discharged.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

These are so interesting.