Saturday, February 5, 2011

Coloring My World

This is what I've been up to for the last week, and there's more to come.  Shibori samples!  Every other piece of fabric in these photos is a fat quarter of muslin, and the other pieces are all old linens from various sources.

I don't have plans for these yet, other than as samples, but I'm sure they'll make their way into my art quilts in the coming years.  The linens are particularly lovely.  As I've been working, I've been thinking about the concept of dyeing fabric for specific uses -- like, needing a particular color for a special quilt.  And I realized, again, that I rarely, if ever, work that way.  I create the fabric first -- because I love surface design -- and then I design quilts based on the particular fabrics I have available.

I'm starting preparations for a local show I'll be hanging at the end of March.  Two big(ish) quilts to make yet, two more pieces to mount on stretched canvas, 10 framed pieces to varnish, hanging wire and/or slats to be taken care of.  My local art quilt group meets again on February 14 and I've yet to do our challenge quilt for the month...although it is designed and will get done this weekend.  I've had no inspiration yet for Fiberactions' next challenge, impression, due March 15.

And then there was the bamboo earlier this week, what a job that was.  It's clumping bamboo, there were no runners to deal with, but the roots were hugely knotted together and the root balls needed to be cut apart with an axe!  A neighbor saw me struggling with my garden spade, hatchet, and two big sharp kitchen knives, came over with his axe, and in five minutes the job was done.  Once everything has overcome transplant shock and gone back into growth mode, I'll take photos of the exterior of Rose Cottage.  It certainly looks a far sight better than it did!

15 comments:

Approachable Art said...

Happy to know that you're molding your new environs to suit your new life. :D LOVELY fabrics, and I'm with you... I do surface design first, collage later. ;)

Gerrie said...

Those piles of fabric are a feast for my eyes! Love.

Emma said...

These look wonderful - really enjoyed your discharge paste post, too, reading it i feel a little closer to thinking I might actually do all that one day!

Writing this I'm mesmarised by your surface design portfolio, just next to the comments box ;)

Most exciting of all I finally got my copy of QA with your latest article in it - my subscription had run out. Wonderful, I shall refer to it when i unpack my box of supplies just arrived with, finally some Ink Aid & freezer paper. I'm jumping into the unknown here!(but I will give it a go)

Deb Levy said...

Beautiful fabrics Connie! And best of luck with the show.

Sandra Rude said...

A beautiful palette of colors! There's something very inspiring about having a "library" of cloth all ready to work with.

katherinesands said...

These are gorgeous, Connie! yummmm!!!!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Beautiful pieces!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Wonderful that a neighbour came to help with his axe...what a job you had! Enjoy the show preparation.

tastykaeru said...

What delicious colours!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Yes, I too have difficulty thinking in terms of preparing a fabric for a specific need. I really like starting with what I have and seeing what it inspires in me.

susan christensen said...

These colors make my mouth water! Your work samples make me want to pull out the Procion. (I never dye for specifics either...)

Rayna said...

the fabrics are delicious - I can't wait to get back to my studio!
Great that you are so busy with pieces and deadlines and such, too. As to the bamboo: when I was in Florida, one of my students came with big slices of cane which were wonderful to print with.

maggi said...

Mouth watering fabrics. You sound like you are going to very busy.

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Beautiful fabrics Connie - I'll look forward to seeing them come to life in your work. good luck with the show!

Lorraine @ creativedaily said...

Colour and texture - yum!