Monday, January 3, 2011

Off and Running

I've hit the ground running already this year.  I spent some time over the weekend reorganizing my front room studio where I do wet work -- it's also my kitchen and living room (and bedroom at night) -- so I could get back into surface design.

I began experimenting with monoprinting -- something I've wanted to do for a long time -- using paints of various consistencies.  The first piece here is on fabric, the second on a sheet of paper I made 20 years ago.  Obviously I'm just getting started but I've at least gotten to the point where I can see the possibilities inherent in the technique.

And I have a new method of working these days ~ which is to give myself a couple of weeks to a month or longer to work on a technique, so that I can build my skills, experiment, try new things as they occur to me -- without feeling that I need to pack it all up and get onto the next technique right away.  Maybe I'll only work on a few techniques this year, but I intend to go deeper now into fewer things.  There are some processes that are on the "kill" list, things I don't want to go any farther with than I already did.
 
I started building a storefront on Zazzle yesterday, but won't promote it until I've got a few more items available.  Primarily I'll be using it as a means of getting my collage images and manipulated sky photos out to the world on functional merchandise.  So stay tuned for the public launch in the next few days.

I began this blog three years ago this month, and I'm planning to do a Third Blogaversary Giveaway, although the idea just came to me so I don't have details at the moment.  Something else to stay tuned for.  My annual posts have decreased since my first year, and I figure it'd be another two or three years until I hit my 1000th post here.  Hence, the year three celebration.

My word for 2011 was going to be BRILLIANCE -- and it still is -- but I've also added RADIANCE and AUTHORITYAuthority as in my being the only one in charge of my life and my art.  I see and feel myself stepping up to the plate in all aspects of my life.

Hope your year is off to a good start, as well!

5 comments:

Jan said...

AUTHORITY--I love it!

Emma said...

Taking the bull by the horn, that's what I'm trying to do. I'm taking a short printmaking course locally, I know bits & pieces but I need focus & to 'see' it being done; back to basics for me.

The list of all the work you've done last year is fabulous, do you plan an exhibition, as I do & I've hardly even started?!

Approachable Art said...

Go, Go, Go, Connie! I think it's an excellent idea to spend time focusing on improving one technique at a time, rather than bouncing around from one to another.

Happy new year!

Sandy said...

Monoprinting is fun. I like your results.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Very nice! This ia going to be such an exciting year watching your art in progress and hearing about the process. Can't wait. Like the use of Brilliance, Radiance and Authority.