Monday, January 31, 2011

Cool Air



This is Late Spring, just completed over the weekend.  Measuring 26" x 17," this is one of two tree pieces in my small local series.

The cool greens of this piece evoke feelings of newness, still-cool air, summer still on the way.

I had a terrific weekend, got lots done.  I'll be teaching a shibori class in Eureka in a couple months, so yesterday I started dyeing a lot of color samples.  It's interesting to me how each time I start a big dyeing project, I realize I am at a  new level of knowledge and understanding of dyes, colors, procedures.  In other words, I am formulating my own colors and processes as I learn more.

Actually, this phenomenon -- if that's what it is -- is apparent in all the surface design I do.  As it's turned out, I take on a few processes each year, play with one for a while then move on to the next.  I may not get back to something until nearly a year has passed.  But the next time I do, I'm that much better at it.  I guess that's growth in action.


Tomorrow I'm digging up and transplanting bamboo -- two clumping bamboos that I put in the ground nearly two years ago.  They were each about 10" in diameter at ground level...I'll be dividing them tomorrow and now there's enough for maybe 8 good-sized plants!  Most of those will go in tubs and grace Rose Cottage, the others will go to a friend.  I'm looking forward to having it here -- I love bamboo.  One of my fondest memories of living on Maui was walking through the bamboo forest near the Seven Sacred Pools.  But that was a lifetime ago!

4 comments:

Jan said...

Beautiful! One of my favs...

Meg in Nelson said...

But not many of us have ever lived in Maui, Connie! :-)

patricias fabric art said...

wow you're creations are gorgeous -such lovely fabrics-wish I could get my handa on them !!!!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Wonderful colours and marks. I have very nice bamboo outside my lounge window that sort of hides the giant ugly yellow garage wall the neighbours put up alongside the house. It is our own private jungle. This piece reminds me of it.