Monday, January 17, 2011

Chutzpah

I spent time over the weekend reorganizing my quilt collection.  Since I no longer have a loom in my storage shed outside, I bought a portable covered clear-plastic-front closet and now most of my quilts are hanging there.  A bunch of earlier work I no longer want, so I pulled those out to donate to Tailwaggers Thrift Shop, Sequoia Humane's retail shop in Eureka.  But I did put aside a couple of pieces to fool around with.

This piece was (still is, actually) Discharge 2, from two years ago.  Original piece below.  This morning I quilted wonky circles in all the previously unquilted areas, then I painted it twice.  Quite an improvement, IMO.

I have another quilt I've been messing with, another early piece that never hung properly.  I'd tried a construction idea that really didn't work, for one, and then I brought the backing forward and turned a bound edge and because the quilt was too large for that technique, the edges were wavy.  Recently I removed the sleeve and fabric label, opened out the binding, and cut the thing into a proper rectangle.  Then I sliced it in half.  The half I didn't like that well has gotten several treatments already.  I'll post that when I'm farther along.


I've been intrigued with painting/printing on already-quilted surfaces, but haven't really tried it before now.  The best book I've seen on this topic is Linda & Laura Kemshall's The Painted Quilt.  In fact, I just pulled out my copy and am reading it newly now that I'm at that place to give things a try.  I'm also curious to work with discharge paste in this same fashion -- maybe I'll get to that tomorrow!

6 comments:

Diane Wright said...

I like your painted piece a lot! Gives me ideas ;^)

frazzledsugarplummum said...

See how far you have come in two years. I love what you have done with it. Discharge paste in this fashion would be something to see.

Meg Fowler said...

Wow, Connie! I love what you did with this piece! It's incredibly interisting now.

Chris Gray said...

I really like the piece you're working on....

....I find the arrangement appealing...

...a bit "ancient language-ish"...

maggi21 said...

The depth and texture in this piece is really stunning, so much more interesting than before. Definitely a book worth having, there is so much in the way of information and ideas.

Quilter Beth said...

Wonderful quilt. I've just done some discharge dyeing and am trying to decide how to use the fabric. You sure have given me some things to think about. Isn't painting on the quilt, after it is quilted, really scary?