Sunday, December 19, 2010

Recycle to Upcycle

Twenty years ago I was experimenting with abstract work on paper.  I had had a few pieces framed and displayed them in my home or office.  A few years ago I got rid of the frames, which I no longer liked, and imagined doing something else with the paintings eventually.

Concurrently, for years I've lamented my collection of ugly but extremely functional industrial/office bookends, those beige metal things we've all seen or worked with.  This morning, these two streams of thought came together.  And now I no longer have bookends I hate looking at.

You could do this with any mixed media work on heavy paper, and if I had yet more bookends to cover, I might do just that.  But I'm probably set with these, for the rest of my life, or until I ever decide to change them.

An unanticipated delight from cutting up those old paintings ~ I like the work a lot better now, in bite sized pieces!

10 comments:

Sue Bleiweiss said...

what a great idea this is Connie!

Approachable Art said...

Fun stuff, Connie!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

What a great idea. They look Fab.

Jan said...

I'm thinking you might expand on this in an article for Cloth Paper Scissors. How-to, preferably. These are wonderful!

Patty Demant said...

I think you are on to something. as always!

ju-north said...

Great thinking outside of the box!

Sandy said...

They're great looking-good recycling.

Nora said...

What a great idea!

Rayna said...

Lots of stuff looks better in small pieces. Elizabeth Barton cuts up her work from time to time and it always looks better than when it was large. Hmmm...

Lorraine @ creativedaily said...

These are fabulous!