Monday, October 18, 2010

Checking In

I've got no textile-related images to post at the moment, although things have been moving slowly forward.  I've been feeling alternately overwhelmed and unmotivated recently.

For one thing, I've had this strange not-really-a-head-cold thing happening since late last week, that's slowed me down.  I think the recent round of big change in my life has caught up with me.  Another move, another consolidation, another go through everything I own to pare my life down to a sustainable level.

Oh well, on with it.  I did a second piece in the new series (see the last post), this one printed on raw silk, and I liked it even better than the first.  Have decided to do the entire series in digitally-printed raw silk.  And I'm also going to embellish each of the quilts, most likely with judicious beading.

Fiberactions' next challenge word is Transformation, to be revealed on November 15.  I have the quilt designed, just need to put it all together.  My local art quilt group is doing a challenge exploring the design element line, and I have fabric ready to go for that, as well.  And the 4-piece series on Fortuna skies and trees is also in process. Everything's going slowly now, though.

I've been lamenting that it's been too long since I've done any surface design -- and there's so much I want to do.  It's a little bit less convenient now, being that I'm living in my studio, much of my materials and tools are stored in my Annex, a shed outside a few steps from the front door.  And I can't leave fabric on plastic to batch overnight all over the floor now.  Actually, these little challenges may be a blessing in disguise -- perhaps now instead of trying to do everything, I'll only do those techniques that I can reasonably do given the limitations of my space.

And speaking of space, if any of you have ever wondered why I work on the small side, and increasingly so, it's simply because I don't have the space to make big work (surface designed or quilted), nor do I have the space to store it.  Nor do I have the money for all the materials required for larger pieces.  Art/life/living on a budget, space- and money-wise -- subsistence artmaking!

Anyhow, I'm slowly getting myself together for the day.  Hope you have a lovely week!

8 comments:

yasmin sabur said...

Connie, I live and work in a 400 square foot space. I have to admit that I have over a 1/2 acre yard and live in Southern California, so lots of room to work outside. I always wonder what kind of space folks have to hang art work that is 8 feet long and 12 feet high. Even at gallery shows, I can't see the detail on pieces that large. All of our art is influenced by our surroundings and our circumstances. Size, in this case, doesn't matter.

Jan said...

What a beautiful collage. Wish you lived here: we could turn the living room into studio space. I'm tempted to do that, anyway, ever since hearing a woman who made the living/dining room into her bedroom in a house she shares with her mother, who took the "master suite."

Not so apt to happen now that I have a renter who will want to share the living room.

The biggest piece I've ever made is a queen quilt made with Rachel. It was a commissioned piece, as every bed-sized quilt I've ever made has been. I don't like working big, for whatever reason, mostly because it's just so awkward. All that fabric and layers. Even a full-length coat is a handful.

Worked open studios at a friend's house and her largest works were most in demand. And folk wanted larger pieces than she can make in her particular medium. I guess these over-sized houses with great rooms need over-sized art. I prefer a more human scale and lots of detail.

Nora said...

You're experiencing the down side of the high you had, Don't worry, you will even out in the middle. In the meantime, keep creating those wonderful small pieces of art. It's all in the details and there are lots of those. They are affordable too and that makes them accessible to a lot of people.

Approachable Art said...

I wonder if ragweed season has you like it has us, here... it blooms at this time of the year and gives everyone symptoms exactly like you describe!

As for working on surface design and doing it BIG: come visit with me for a while and you can scratch your itch in the studio. :D

tiedyejudy said...

I prefer small pieces myself... wall sized, just right for homes, not giant corporate walls or installations. But I know what you mean about needing space to spread things out, especially surface design work. I was dyeing some silk scarves yesterday on a large piece of plexiglass, and had to move it to my studio from the laundry room... good think it's flexible, 'cause it was too big to get through doorways without bending!
Hope you get to feeling better. My hubby has had a cough for 3 days, and neither of us got much sleep last nite... think I'll crawl back in now that the cats are fed!
Hugs,
Judy

Rayna said...

On the bright side...not having money for all the materials can make you more creative - and yes, small pieces are more saleable. You'll find a way to come to terms with the coziness of your space.
Sorry about all the stress that probably brought on the cold; hope you feel better before long.
Your work, as always, looks beautiful.
xo
Rayna

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I live, sleep and create in my lounge/dining room. I dont know how I would manage to do stuff I don't want the cats and dog to walk on because they all keep such a keen interest in whatever I do. Skitz is lying across my hands at the moment. It wouldn't be possible in my place but I was thinking of how some people have quilting frames they can lower from the ceiling...perhaps something light in plexi would serve as an extra table. Hope you feel better soon...it comes like that when the nerves get strung out. Small is great when time, space and funds are short...environmentally friendly too.

susan christensen said...

Connie I hope this finds you feeling up to your usual energy level again. I think the collage you have given us in this post is very much textile-related! There is great freedom and quickness in working small! I agree that sometimes imposed limits can drive us to new heights. Best wishes!