Sunday, April 18, 2010

Small is Beautiful

After lamenting yesterday that I felt as though I'd lost my way, today I created this small piece, 8.5x11 inches.  I feel as though I've come full circle, in a way, because I've been looking a lot recently at Jane Davila and Elin Waterston's Art Quilt Workbook -- which is the first book I purchased on art quilting.  Sometimes -- usually -- simple is better.  Simple as in uncomplicated.

I've been thinking too much about trying to make my work look like a preconceived idea I have for it should be -- this is especially true in my laboring over the forthcoming Convergence-themed challenge quilt.  Today I got back to following my intuition, and consequently I'm feeling much looser again.  Matter of fact, after three small finished pieces where I attempted to achieve something I imagined for this challenge quilt, I put all those ideas aside, listened to my gut, this afternoon auditioned fabrics for that quilt, and I plan to have it completed by middle of this week.

I feel like things are flowing smoothly again!

7 comments:

maggi said...

Lovely piece. It has a real autumnal feel to it.

Judy said...

Striking!
Yes, I'd say you've found your way again Connie.....beautiful!

xo

artymess said...

This is a beautiful piece ......all's right with the world again....Life's like that sometimes to go back to basics is the right thing to do ....Happy stitchin Lorna

Jan said...

Small IS beautiful--at least the way you do it!

Judy Alexander said...

I understand what you mean. I actually feel like I have been off track for about the last year. I got so enthralled with trying new techniques that I have found I have not created any really significant art. Back to basics and simple sounds good to me....

frazzledsugarplummum said...

WOW.
I especially like the way the black and white strip and the black right had tree talk to each other.

Absolutely go with what comes from within.

Approachable Art said...

Beautiful quilt!

"I feel like things are flowing smoothly again!"

Glad to hear this. :D