Here are the results of yesterday's dyeing fest, using up old dyes. As I mentioned in my last post, in addition to numerous half yards of muslin, I dyed small pieces of various natural fiber fabrics as well. Some of the best pieces are the small ones. I low water dyed four plastic shoe boxes with numerous fabrics in each, six quart sized plastic tubs, and a gallon jar parfait style. I'm quite happy with these fabrics and my stash is getting rather large!
And these are my three study pieces for the Convergence challenge quilt. The final piece is quite different from these, although I can see the evolution. Nevertheless, I don't think I'm giving anything away, here, which is why I'm showing them well before the group reveal on May 15.
This first piece is a fat eighth that I painted with numerous layers of watercolor crayons. Then I did columns of fine stitching on the stabilized fabric -- I was trying to do a thread sketching kind of thing, trying out different stitches. The straight line vertical rows and the rocks are the actual quilting.
The next piece I painted with Dynaflow and salted, then layered and quilted after drying. I showed a small section of this piece several posts ago.
The last study is made entirely of fabrics I stamped a couple weeks ago. I tried a different kind of facing on this piece than I usually do, and I think it turned out too bulky.
So there you have it!