Thursday, March 4, 2010

White on White

I've been intrigued lately with using white paint and metallics on white or previously dyed fabrics. These are my initial experiments. The first and third photos are of muslin that I "marbled" a while back, using the suminagashi technique (printing oily ink that's floating on water). The second and fourth photo are prints on white muslin.


For these pieces I used white gesso, which is an acrylic, although commonly used to underpaint canvas. But I think I'll try white acrylic paint next time to see if the results are any different.

The sun's out this morning and I'm on my way to the studio shortly. Hope you have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Think I will do some quilting today. If I can get off admiring your fabric on the pc. lol

The Green Stone Woman said...

I like the first one the most because it does have some color in it. I'm afraid I'm not too fond of white on white. I appreciate the effort, though. I'm sure it took a lot of work that I don't know about.

Approachable Art said...

Nummies. The acrylic paint will likely not behave much differently than the gesso did but placing white on white is one of my favorite tricks because it creates a great resist to later layers of color. Fun stuff, Connie!

Judy Alexander said...

Love these white in whites!