Monday, March 15, 2010

Deep Communication

Fiberactions' second reveal day is today, and our theme this time has been Communication. The theme immediately brought to mind the written word, hieroglyphics, coded messages, rune stones and other forms of divination. Spiritually speaking, whatever we need to know about anything is right in front of us or around us. Everything speaks to us metaphorically. My quilt, Read Between the Lines, represents how our individual world communicates deeply with each of us.

All of the fabrics have been handprinted or painted or deconstructed screen printed. I used Paintstix on some of the fabric as well. The central images are the same digital print, once on linen and once on tea-stained silk organza.

This is the piece that a while ago I referred to as "probably my best quilt to date," and I still think that. I really enjoyed working with these colors and fabrics.

9 comments:

Gerrie said...

I like this a lot, Connie. I especially like the monochromatic color scheme with the different patterns.

Jan said...

Beautiful and enigmatic...love the writing--I'm always drawn to the combination of words and textiles.

Alice said...

The use of text, both drawn & stitched, is wonderful and adds several layers of richness. A really fine piece.

Bea said...

Connie you're simply the best! I love this piece! The colors, the calligraphy and the stitching are perfect!

book said...

生活總是起起伏伏,心情要保持快樂才好哦!! ........................................

The Green Stone Woman said...

I think this is super, Connie. I love the handwriting on it. Is it yours? You´re never dull and always full of surprises.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I love this piece. The colours and the thought behind it. I especially like the written text on linen and silk organza and how you have overlain them and also stitched text for another level. The lines and marks only add to the depth and richness. I agree...best yet..Congratulations.

Elfinn said...

Yes its really very nice and informative post. thanks for sharing with us.

quality control in china

Approachable Art said...

Lovely, lovely!