Sunday, December 27, 2009

Year in Review

I finish out this year with a second quilt for week 52 -- this one called Goddess of Light, featuring another silk habotai digital image of this angel that I've taken a shine (pun intended) to recently.

I hope to get Lake Como 2 finished this week -- it's ready to quilt -- so this year is not completely over yet!

But it's a great time to review what I've accomplished this year, and compare where I am now with where I was a year ago...so here goes!
  • I became an Art Quilter in 2009 -- technically I started in late 2008, but it wasn't until this January that I decided to take it seriously.
  • I completed 54 10" x 10" weekly quilts (2 this week, 2 in week eight). To see them all, have a look here.
  • I had my quilts in six shows this year, two of which used images of my work on their printed brochure or website.
  • I completed 10 digital quilts (5 in addition to the 5 included in the weekly series).
  • I completed 7 collage quilts (4 in addition to 3 in the weekly series).
  • I completed 9 discharge quilts.
  • I completed 6 shibori quilts (3 in addition to 3 in the weekly series).
  • I completed an additional 8 studio quilts that don't fit in any of the above categories.
  • I finished 3 lengths of handwoven art cloth -- when I was still making art cloth earlier this year.
  • I downsized my life considerably, moved from a 1700 square foot house in Eureka to sharing a 600 square foot mobile in Fortuna, moved into and set up a new art studio.
  • I started working part time, at a job I really love.
  • I have an upcoming opportunity to do some writing about my art.
I started this year as a weaver primarily, who had ventured into surface design and used a few pieces of fabric she'd created to try her hand at art quilting. I ended the year with my loom and boxes of weaving yarns in deep storage, and firmly entrenched in the art quilting world.

The interesting thing is, I started the year without any concrete goals -- just a vision of what I wanted to create for myself. This was probably the first year that I didn't have a list of stuff I hoped to accomplish, and I probably got more done this year than in several prior years combined.

So I'm not going into 2010 with a laundry list of stuff to accomplish, because I already know I'll be very productive, that I'll grow as an artist, and that life will bring me continuing good opportunities to live my vision. I don't think I need to wish for anything more!

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

2009 was a very successful year for you! Congratulations!

Sandra Rude said...

You should be rightly proud of what you've accomplished! Taking charge of your life and your art isn't easy, but you've done a great job of it. Happy New Year!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Congratulations on being brave enough to 'do' what you love and to have the results and success that has come from doing that. It has been a pleasure and a learning experience to share your adventure with you. Thank you for that. I am very excited about 2010 for you.
Shirley in Oz

The Green Stone Woman said...

I feel like I've been on a great adventure with you and it happened all by itself, as if it had a life of its own. It was meant to be, I suppose, but you put in so much work, I don't want to disregard that. You had a lot of fun along the way, though. It's been great!

katherinesands said...

You've had a great year, Connie! Good idea doing a run down of accomplishments. That does help see where you are. Your work is great...keep it up!

tiedyejudy said...

Wow! My head is spinning, and I've been watching you at it all this year! You are a true inspiration, and I can't wait to see what fabulous works you create in 2010!

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Congratulations on your beautiful accomplishments. I will enjoy watching in 2010.

Rayna said...

Connie, it is unbelievable how much you have grown as an artist and how far you've come in such a brief time. Your woven things were gorgeous and your aesthetic is clearly alive and well in your current work. Happy 2010!

Meg in Nelson said...

Most probably a wise move - and let the spirit carry you! Look forward to where you go next year, Connie.

margaret said...

Well done in 2009 - all the best for 2010!