Monday, March 23, 2009

Waste Not, Want Not

I moved all my dyeing supplies down to my new studio last Friday, except for some thickened fiber reactive dyes that I've been meaning to use up. I finally did that, yesterday. Note to folks who wonder how long mixed dyes will last before losing their oomph: these dyes were mixed with sodium alginate to thicken, probably two to three months ago. Turquoise was the only color that lightened with age and looks quite a bit different in the final product than it did in the jar. The fabrics were soaked/steeped in soda ash and dried, prior to dyeing yesterday.

Except for the first piece above, these are all fairly good sized pieces of fabric. And most are a linen blend, with either cotton or rayon. I love dyeing that stuff -- the colors are far more brilliant than on cotton alone.

So it's just about "pedal to the metal" time for me, moving-wise. There'll be several loads this week, then I'll be up in Eugene at Jan Myers-Newbury's shibori dyeing class at the Eugene Textile Center. Can't wait for that. And after returning home on April 1, I hope to have most of everything moved by the following weekend. I'm lining up friends with trucks now. But if the weather threatens rain, I'll rent a truck for a day.

Ciao!

4 comments:

Leigh said...

I love these! Absolutely wonderful.

I have some rather ancient fiber reactive dyes in my frig. Not with soda ash, just forgotten about. I'll still have to give them a try when the weather is warmer. Who knows???

Gerrie said...

Yummy stuff!! Reminds me I have some thickened dye in the fridge in the garage!!

tiedyejudy said...

I started dating the jars that I keep my dyes in, just to see how well they do after sitting for awhile. Amazing how well they do hold up, except for turquoise. But if you're not trying for a specific color, they do still work great for art cloth!
I can't wait to hear about the shibori class... would sooooo love to take one!
Judy

Vicki W said...

These are beautiful!